New member from California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from California

Hello, all! I just discovered this site and its forums quite by accident. My father emigrated to the US from Glasgow (Govan) in 1927 when he was but 10 years old. After far too long I just made my first trip there by adding a few days on to a business trip I made to London.

The danger in taking a long-anticpated trip is that the reality can sometimes pale compared to the imagination, and one can come away a bit disappointed. In this case, however, this brief visit to my ancestral home exceeded my expectations in every way. From the desk manager at the Buchanan Hotel to the two locals who invited me to their table when I went out to dinner, I was greeted with nothing but warmth and friendship wherever I went.

I can't wait to go back!

Welcome to scotland.com TAdam2000! Hearing about the greeting you received makes me even more excited for my trip next year.

Comment

Just a small point clover19

TAdam2000's expereince was in Glasgow. If you went to Edinburgh you will be lucky to find a similar scenario. The people in Edinburgh are a lot more guarded and their barriers harder to break down.

Comment

Exactly why my son loves Scotland and has had 2 trips in less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by TAdam2000
          Hello, all! I just discovered this site and its forums quite by accident. My father emigrated to the US from Glasgow (Govan) in 1927 when he was but 10 years old. After far too long I just made my first trip there by adding a few days on to a business trip I made to London.

The danger in taking a long-anticpated trip is that the reality can sometimes pale compared to the imagination, and one can come away a bit disappointed. In this case, however, this brief visit to my ancestral home exceeded my expectations in every way. From the desk manager at the Buchanan Hotel to the two locals who invited me to their table when I went out to dinner, I was greeted with nothing but warmth and friendship wherever I went.

I can't wait to go back!
          Aye once a Govanite aye a Govanite and ye will aye get their life history at the bus stop. Aberdeen and Edinburgh
          folks are a bit more canny till they get to know you then you are friends for life.

Comment

Working...
          X