Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Maryland

I'm new to the website today. I'm very interested in my
    Scottish heritage, and I'm single....hoping for a good man to have for pleasant company and fun times. I actually live in Frederick, Maryland.
    sigpicJudy

Hi there fiesty_lady, welcome from Oregon!

Wasn't there a big battle fought around Frederick, during the Civil War? I just sounds familliar! Enjoy your time here, it's a fun place!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

hey feistyWelcome. I'm just new to this as well. I live in Fife Scotland. U wana speak more?..drop me a note, oh and have fun.

AD

Comment

Hello everyone!

Thanks for your nice replies. As far as history in Frederick, Maryland, yes, Francis Scott Key, who wrote the Star Spangled Banner is from here...it's rich with history all around here. Antietam Battlefield is nearby which is part of the Civil War. Anyways, I want to know about all of you. I hope to come to Scotland one day, I want to explore my heritage and maybe meet some of my family in Edinburgh. I'm a single female but I hope not to stay that way. So tell me about yourselves if you please.

I wish so badly that my Mother had been more diligent to teach me Scottish tradition, foods, whatever. My grandfather loved the bagpipes and would play, he always had to smoke his pipe after dinner. He's passed on sorry to say. So have my aunts and uncles from Scotland. So I have to learn these things for myself. Of course, I will gladly answer any questions anyone of you may have to! Thanks so much....
        sigpicJudy

Comment

Hi Judy and a sleepy welcome from Aberdeen, better late than never I
          say !!

have a look in earlier pages of cuisine and you may find some Scottish
          recipes that you can try !!

I am going back to bed soon so maybe catch you another day !!

Comment

Hello again!

Thanks for the tip - you said Aberdeen...are you from Aberdeen, Maryland? or is there an Aberdeen in Scotland? Hello also to AndyDave in Fife, Scotland!! How are you today? It is now nearly midnight...12PM...I will be off to bed shortly too. What is the time difference between the east coast of the United States and Scotland? So....what's the temperature like in Fife, Scotland this time of year? Have you lived in Scotland all of your life? I've always lived in the United States, specifically Maryland for the last 10 years or so....I hope to hear from you all again..have a nice evening...
            sigpicJudy

Comment

Re: Hello again!

Originally posted by fiesty_lady
              Thanks for the tip - you said Aberdeen...are you from Aberdeen, Maryland? or is there an Aberdeen in Scotland? Hello also to AndyDave in Fife, Scotland!! How are you today? It is now nearly midnight...12PM...I will be off to bed shortly too. What is the time difference between the east coast of the United States and Scotland? So....what's the temperature like in Fife, Scotland this time of year? Have you lived in Scotland all of your life? I've always lived in the United States, specifically Maryland for the last 10 years or so....I hope to hear from you all again..have a nice evening...
              The one and only Aberdeen in Scotland !!

Comment

Greetings!

I'm new to the website today. I'm very interested in my
                Scottish heritage, and I'm single....hoping for a good man to have for pleasant company and fun times. I actually live in Frederick, Maryland.
                "Maryland, my Maryland"

I was stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland while in the military at the National Security Agency. A beautiful state and Frederick is neat too. Now was Frederick the place where the old woman hung out the "Stars & Stripes" in 1862 when the Confederate army under Stonewall Jackson marched thru the town?

"Shoot if you must this old grey head, but spare your country's flag." said the woman to General Jackson.

So impressed was Stonewall The Yankee Killer with the woman's courage that he posted Confederate guards to defend the flag and woman as his army marched thru the town.

Comment

Eh yea I've lived in Fife, Scotland all my life. Town called Dunfermline. It used to be the (ancient) capital of Scotland. Temp is about 18 deg C today, more rain forecast though. Never been to America. Hope to 1 day although I got close in January when I went to Cuba for a holiday. You should definetly come to Scotland though, start saving eh.

Comment

Hello there AD, I thought I stop in and hello!!! I live in Oregon and we have lovely rain as well!
                    sigpic * ~ Megan ~ *

To cherish what remains of the earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival.
                    -Wendell Berry

Comment

Saving for Scotland!

I will take your advice AndyDave....I have decided I shall follow my heart and plan a trip to Scotland,eh? I'm excited with the thought of it! I don't think you would be sorry if you ever made a trip here to the states. Good luck!

Yes, Frederick is where the Stars and Stripes were created by Betsy Ross.... I like Hamlet, his words are poetry and actually rather honest there...I love literature!! So Foxx, you've been to Fort Meade. Small world! That's not far from me at all. Maryland has a strong Scottish heritage, it was the Scottish who settled in a lot of the land here.

So how are all of you? It was a beautiful sunshine day here today! Now back to the work day grind tomorrow...thanks for your responses. Be safe and well everyone!
                      sigpicJudy

Comment

Hello Everyone. New to this site, New to Scotland. I'm from Pennsylvania. Native USA. Don't know anyone in Scotland, or even anyone that has ever been there, but have some unexplained attraction to it. What's your secret?

Comment

Originally posted by blessed11
                          Hello Everyone. New to this site, New to Scotland. I'm from Pennsylvania. Native USA. Don't know anyone in Scotland, or even anyone that has ever been there, but have some unexplained attraction to it. What's your secret?
                          Scotland secret? The country produces rugged, independent people who love liberty and have colonized a good part of the world with people with family names like "Wallace" -- The Braveheart.

His last word in the movie: "Freedom"...

Comment

Re: Saving for Scotland!

I will take your advice AndyDave....I have decided I shall follow my heart and plan a trip to Scotland,eh? I'm excited with the thought of it! I don't think you would be sorry if you ever made a trip here to the states. Good luck!

Yes, Frederick is where the Stars and Stripes were created by Betsy Ross.... I like Hamlet, his words are poetry and actually rather honest there...I love literature!! So Foxx, you've been to Fort Meade. Small world! That's not far from me at all. Maryland has a strong Scottish heritage, it was the Scottish who settled in a lot of the land here.

So how are all of you? It was a beautiful sunshine day here today! Now back to the work day grind tomorrow...thanks for your responses. Be safe and well everyone!
                            My people were Scot-Irish pioneers that started out in Virginia in the 17th century and moved West and then South to Texas long before Texas joined the Union. I had an ancestor would fought with Sam Houston at San Jacinto where we beat Santa Anna and estalblished the short-lived Republic of Texas.

Yes, I noticed that about Maryland too..Also, North Carolina in the western part of the state has folks of Scottish ancestry who form "Clans" with the bagpipes and all. I was once at Disney World on "Scotland Day" (this was back in 1990s) at EPCOT and the park was full of bagpipes and the traditional costumes and dances. I found out most of the bands were from North Carolina.

Did you know that the Confederate Battle Flag was created using the Scottish flag and the Cross of St. Andrew as an example?

see ya, later! I'm glad you like Shakespeare too!

Comment

Scotland!

Welcome to you oh blessed one....lol...that's a cute id. So to you indeed, welcome. Do I understand that you are now, this moment in Scotland? You said you're new to Scotland. If so you are indeed blessed as you are where I do so long to be! You seem to be a nice person, I'm sure you'll make some nice friends. Good luck!

Fox, my how you've been around! How wonderful it must've been to be in Disney World on Scottish Day! What a wonderful heritage you have. You have good reason to be proud. I wish I could trace my family back far enough to know something significant. I don't even know if any of the remaining family in Scotland is still living or if they have all passed on. I just remember the stories my grandfather and other family would tell. Some of them had the brogue to heavy I could barely understand them.

Foxx, you sound like an interesting person. Yes, I've attended the Scottish festival at Anne Arundel County, the mayor is Scottish, so many of our politicians! Proud to be in their kilts too. What a blast to attend. I knew the flag was primarily derived from the Scottish flag. I attend anything Scottish I can when I can, I love it!!
                              sigpicJudy

Comment

Working...
                              X