Gaelic House Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaelic House Name

I'm new to this - found the site because I am keen to have a Gaelic name for our house and I am having great difficulty! We live near a surf beach on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia at a place called Anglesea ( yes spelt that way!) Our family name is Laird - the forebears hailed from Wick! I have a Glaswegian as a son in law but he couldn't come up with any name that was pronouncable. Help! Any ideas???

Hi there outinthegarden, welcome from Oregon, USA. Your name sounds peaceful and relaxing!

My Galic is LOW, there are others here who can help more but 'Failte' means 'Welcome'. That could be a very nice name for a house.

Naming places isn't something we do much of here. If a place has a name, it tends to be something that was VERY expensive or the people who own it wish to make some kind of statement. Example, my In-Laws built their home over a rather long period of time, (my father in law likes to poke)! My mother in law calls the place Fort Patience, in a desperate attempt to get him to finish the work! It didn't help. It's been 25 years and most of it's done now, he just keeps adding things to it.

You might want to ask in the Open Forum, Scotland Dot C*mon Inn, more members visit in there and could offer you some phonetic pronounciations for a great word.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Thank you Kathyv - that is the best so far! I did suggest to my husband that we could name it 'we-orta' - to reflect some of the things we should have doneand perhaps have left too late!! He was not enthusiastic!

Comment

Gaelic House Name

Hi
        As you live beside the sea, you could name your house, Tigh-na-Mara (Beside the Sea) or Coul-na-Mara (Sound of the sea) Pronounced firstly, tee na mara and secondly cool na mara
        Jan

Comment

Hi there,

Since you have Wick connections a suitable name would be
          Unbhir Uig (Inver-Oooig) the Gaelic name for Wick derived from the Norse.

Comment

Re: Gaelic House Name

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
            Hi
            As you live beside the sea, you could name your house, Tigh-na-Mara (Beside the Sea) or Coul-na-Mara (Sound of the sea) Pronounced firstly, tee na mara and secondly cool na mara
            Jan
            I like it - prefer Tigh-na- Mara - thanks for the thought

Comment

Originally posted by fernachie
              Hi there,

Since you have Wick connections a suitable name would be
              Unbhir Uig (Inver-Oooig) the Gaelic name for Wick derived from the Norse.
              Thanks for the idea - will think about that one - even if I can pronounce it (thanks to your help!)I'm not sure any other of my friends will be able!

Comment

gaelic house name

My Gaelic is of the low variety too. How about Taigh na Tighearna? (Tai na tyee-arna). It means House of the Laird. It's a giggle when translated into Scots: "The Lord's Hoose." (Church) Just a thought.

"if
                a toktaboot
                thi trooth
                lik wanna yoo
                scruff yi
                widny thingk
                it wuz troo."

Comment

Re: Gaelic House Name

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
                  Hi
                  Coul-na-Mara (Sound of the sea) Pronounced firstly, tee na mara and secondly cool na mara
                  Jan
                  Can I vote? Because I vote for this one. I really like it.

I'm going to start a "How do you say..." thread in the Language board.

Comment

Originally posted by outinthegarden
                    Thank you Kathyv - that is the best so far! I did suggest to my husband that we could name it 'we-orta' - to reflect some of the things we should have doneand perhaps have left too late!! He was not enthusiastic!
                    LOL! I like that!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Working...
                    X