new members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new members

Hi, I'm new. I'm an old fart expat, born in Perthshire, lived in California 30 years. Just retired from lifetime of semi-tabloid journalism to write what really interests me. Hence the moniker Sgriobhadair (gaelic: writer). I come home at least once a year to see ever expanding cast of nieces and nephews. Interests: Scots literature, Burns, fiddle and banjo, ancient history, Gaelic, entymology, bagpiping, hiking, fishing, craic.

Been posting on this forum for a few days and trying to get a feel for the protocol. I already sense the personalities of some of the regulars -- a prickly, opinionated bunch. It's just like entering any unfamiliar Scottish pub. What are you having?
    "if
    a toktaboot
    thi trooth
    lik wanna yoo
    scruff yi
    widny thingk
    it wuz troo."

Hi there sgriobhadair, welcome from Oregon, USA. Nice to meet you.

I have moved your Bum Bag thread to the Words and Games forum as that is a better forum for it. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

hello yersel

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. and thanks for moving the bum bag string. I love your dancing Calvin and Hobbes! I notice that a lot of posts have a boilerplate quotation at the end of their messages. Do you know how to do that? I'd like to stick a couple of lines of Burns at the bottom of mine. Thanks again. Sgriob
      "if
      a toktaboot
      thi trooth
      lik wanna yoo
      scruff yi
      widny thingk
      it wuz troo."

Comment

You can add your sig by going into your profile, then make your changes, hit submit and whatever you have added should come up in your posts. (I've wanted to corrupt a bit o' Burns and add it to mine, "The woman o' independent mind, She looks and laughs at a' that".... but wouldn't wish to offend!)

Good luck with your sig, if you have any trouble, let us know. Someone should be able to help.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

thanks again

Thanks KathyV, I'll try it.

"Woman of independent mind..." Go for it! It wouldn't offend me, and I'll bet Burns himself would love it. As proof of his feminism, check out the version of "Comin' thro' the Rye" in the "Merry Muses of Caledonia." The Bard proclaims succinctly that a woman's body is her own and nobody's business but her own. Unfortunately, in these prudish times, the line is unprintable in its entirety.

"Gin a body ____ a body,
          ____'s a body's ain."
          "if
          a toktaboot
          thi trooth
          lik wanna yoo
          scruff yi
          widny thingk
          it wuz troo."

Comment

Working...
          X