Hi from Michigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Michigan!

Hi everyone! I'm a married mother of 3 from Michigan, USA. I'm of Scottish descent on mom's side (from way back!), but unfortunately have never been there. Will probably have to wait until the kids grow up. I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 11, and my beautiful little princess is 2. I work as a nurse in a small town hospital mostly in the rehab. We have a small "hobby farm" with horses, goats, Scottish blackface sheep, assorted poultry, rabbits, cats and a dog. We enjoy going to Highland Games and Festivals, usually in either Alma, MI, or Toronto, Canada. I must confess though that I do NOT like haggis. I tried it at a festival, and decided I didn't like it even before I knew what it was made of. All the other food there was delicious though! I would love to hear from anyone with similar lifestyle, or interests from Scotland or anywhere else. Thank you! Becky.

Becky B

Welcome to S.com, you sound as though you lead a full & busy life over there, I myself come from Glasgow, but living in the South of England at the moment. Hope to see you around the boards, and also hope that you meet new & interesting people. Take Care.
    Alexis (My Time Is Your Time, Some Of The Time)

Comment

Thanks! Lots of interesting things to read here. I think the Highland Games are in Sarnia Canada sometime this month and I'd really like to go. I think it's a weekend I work, but I'm on midnights so I'll just drink lots of coffee and not sleep!

Comment

Hi there Becky, welcome from Oregon, USA. Nice to meet you and enjoy the site! You are the third Becky B. I know of! LOL

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Hello from Michigan. I actually hail from Roseville, Michigan. ( East of Detroit). Most of my family is still around there. Alma, Michigan,is that up near Gaylord? I'm new to the website today. It sounds like you have a lovely farm. How charming.
          sigpicJudy

Comment

Hi
            A big welcome from me in Fife Scotland. glad to hear your holding on to your roots. What do you want to know about from Scotland. I'll tell you all i can.
            Hit me back
            AD

Comment

Hello Becky!

Originally posted by BeckyB
              Hi everyone! I'm a married mother of 3 from Michigan, USA. I'm of Scottish descent on mom's side (from way back!), but unfortunately have never been there. Will probably have to wait until the kids grow up. I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 11, and my beautiful little princess is 2. I work as a nurse in a small town hospital mostly in the rehab. We have a small "hobby farm" with horses, goats, Scottish blackface sheep, assorted poultry, rabbits, cats and a dog. We enjoy going to Highland Games and Festivals, usually in either Alma, MI, or Toronto, Canada. I must confess though that I do NOT like haggis. I tried it at a festival, and decided I didn't like it even before I knew what it was made of. All the other food there was delicious though! I would love to hear from anyone with similar lifestyle, or interests from Scotland or anywhere else. Thank you! Becky.
              Greetings from a Texas Scot!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Would've gotten back sooner but our computer crashed big time. I'm writing from work (thank god for midnight shift!) Didn't make the games in Canada cuz I had to work and of course no low census that weekend. (sigh) oh well, there's always next year. How's everyone enjoying the olympics? My 2 yr old girl loved the gymnastics. She taught herself to do somersaults, and I taught her afterwards to stand up and throw her arms in the air and yell "ta da!" very cute. Life on the farm is quiet. We always try to "thin the herd" this time of year. less to feed come winter. How are the winters and summers in scotland? Varies here. some winters we're trudging thru 3 or 4 feet of snow (and that's down here in the L.P.!) others we hardly get any. we are thinking of selling our scottish blackface sheep. they're cute but not very friendly. the ram will let you pet him, but you can't turn your back on him. Hubby says if we sell the sheep then maybe we can get a llama. I hear they spit but they're so darn cute! Are there a lot of farms left in Scotland, or is it going more modern? Also, what's the healthcare like there? I haven't been a nurse that long, but so many changes happening all the time. Even here at a small town hospital. well, better get back to work. bye!

Comment

hello fae Glasgow.....

you have to remember they are a Scottish breed of sheep so they don't take prisoners, as it were.

The healthcare system in the UK gets a lot of negative press, but we are all aware how lucky we are to be able to get free healthcare (with waiting list for non-urgents)at the highest standards. The move is away from small local hospitals although in the highlands there will always be some small generals.

Comment

Welcome BeckyB,hope you find alot of good friends here,there is some great ones to be found,c-ya around the boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X