Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Macdui

Hello
    Has anyone climbed Ben Macdui? If so which is the best route from Derry Lodge and is there a well defined track all the way to the summit. I am going this Sunday.
    Cheers!

Hello from here in Speyside,
    From Derry Lodge which is about 3 mile walk in from the car park if I remember?? Then the only real route to take is up GLEN DERRY itself crossing at the bridge easy going for a start then hang a left up Corie Etchachan you can have a wee rest at Hutchison Hut before the steep! climb up the path up to the loch keep left and just keep on going to the top path all the way although rocky the futher up you go, but you'll have a map with the marked route on it!!!!! DO NOT even atempt this without the proper map!!!(Sorry if you are an experienced hicker but I'm sure you'll agree this needs to be said) It's a good long day to do this hike!! weather is supposed to be not bad at the weekend but with it being the Cairngorms always but always be prepared for every kind of weather! A top of the Ben do not stray far from the path! and return the way you came as there is no other easy way down to your start point.
    Have fun but most of all stay safe!
    The last time we did it from that side the weather was hot and in the forest just past the old lodge going up Glen Derry we saw an Adder snake which is only the second one I ever seen! Hope the weather is good as we too are heading up into the mountains this weekend.
    Cheers
    Hut

[Edited by hutcircles on 28th July 2004 at 17:42]

Comment

Ben Macdui

Many thanks Hut
      Feel a bit better now although I have always been a bit wary of the Cairngorms. Fingers crossed for some sun and I'll keep an eye out for any snakes. Have a good weekend and I'll post another message on Tuesday.

Cheers!

Comment

Ben Macdui

Hi Hut
        Sadly we didn't make it. My fellow walker got bad chest pains at Loch Etchachan so we decided to return the way we came. He got better after about an hour. Glorious route (and the weather was good too). The oddest thing was a snake crossed the path we were on just before we reached the car! Not sure what type it was but it was about 18 inches long, brown in colour with a darker diamond pattern. I will return soon (third time lucky).

Cheers!

Comment

You found yourself an adder. Just thought I would pop in and say hello.

Comment

Ben Macdui

Hello Alan
            Thanks. Not venomous I hope!

Comment

Fraid so, but not deadly. A wee bit on the painfull side with quite a bit of swelling. probably like a whole bunch of wasp stings in the same place all at once.

Comment

Sorry that you didn't make it all the way but as long as you come back again sometime when your friend is feeling fit, wise decision to turn back. It's a good hike in from that side, much easier from my side of the Cairngorms but Glen Derry is usually much quieter, funny you should see an Adder!! Hope all is well with your friend?
                Cheers
                Hut

Comment

Ben Macdui - Hut

Hi Hut
                  He is okay. It was something we knew about (he is due to go for tests the middle of the month) but his GP had said yes he could exercise. Maybe the GP thought he would be going for a swim or a stroll out in the countryside, not the Cairngorms. Hopefully they will give him the ok and we will return in September. Hope you don't mind me asking but what's the skiing like at Aviemore? I have been skiing in various places (abroad) for a week but reckon I could make a weekend of it at Aviemore. I suppose it's watch the weather and if it's good snow conditions everybody heads there fast.

Cheers

Comment

Alfred,
                    Aye thats right keep a look out for the weather reports. You used to be able to say that there would be snow good enough to ski on between the months of late November to Feb but that global warming factor needs to be taken in thease days! No two winters are ever the same now, usually the higher runs are ok most of the ski season but can get very icy, too fast!
                    Glad to here he's OK just take it easy.
                    Hut

Comment

Hi there Alfred, welcome from Oregon, USA. Nice to meet you and enjoy the site!

Are you planning to retry Ben McDui in the future?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Ben Macdui

Hi Kathy
                        Yes I returned this Sunday and made it to the summit! I went alone (which could be seen as being a little risky). Arrived at the top at 11.30am, with the place to myself (apart from a Father-Son partnership who left as quickly as they arrived). The cloud had dropped to just above the summit so I decided not to hang around. I returned using the same route (following my Navigator - Hut's advice) back to the car at the Linn of Dee.

Things that stick in my mind..

The Midges - I lived in Helensburgh West of Glasgow for 6 years (in the 70's) and they were annoying then but nothing prepared me for the evil little monsters that attacked me first thing in the morning!!

The sense of being so alone in such a beautiful area combined with the sense of fear that (and I was well prepared), I had very long walk back to the car and civilisation!!

The Beers slowly anaesthetising my feet in the Fife Hotel - I drank the beer as against putting my feet in a bowl of beer.

Brilliant!!

Ben Macdui is on the list for next year and maybe Cairngorm & Derry Cairngorm.

How's Oregon? Hope its drier than the UK at the moment.

Cheers

Comment

Alfred!
                          Good to see that you made it! Alright doing it alone as long as you tell someone what route you are taking & stick to it and/or leave a note in your car so if they need to the mountain rescue can get into you car and find out what area you're in. You just can't beat the feeling of being alone can you! dam midges, give me mosquitos any day, first thing in the morning they are hungry!!!!
                          Take care until next time Alfred,
                          For a laugh try http://www.albawest.com/slogans.html
                          For a closer look at the midge try http://www.scotweb.co.uk/environment...tishmidge.html
                          OR
                          http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/tfl.midge.html

Comment

Congratulations! Glad that yopu made it up and down safe!

Oregon is nice, we are having a very odd summer, we are usually very hot and dry here, but this summer we have had a LOT of rain, it's cool and almost chilly today. It's been nice but doesn't bode well for a mild winter! LOL If this keeps up it is very likely that we will be seeing the first snow fall on the mountians within the next 6 weeks.

What do you do for the midges? Does bug repellant work?

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Ben Macdui

Hi Hut

I filled in a form at the campsite giving route details and estimated return time. The lady shredded it when I returned which I thought was a good idea. Wouldn't want to leave it for another member of staff to pick up. Thanks for the web links.

Hi Kathy

I imagine certain bug repellants will work. I have decided on a hat with a very fine net that hangs down from the brim. Bit worrying about the odd weather conditions. Wonder if it's global warming?

Bye for now

Comment

Working...
                              X