what does it mean to be Scottish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does it mean to be Scottish?

Hi, I am a new member from New Knoxville, Ohio, and I am sort of interested in all things Scottish in a naive way; my family came to the states in the 1800's but I an interest in discovering what their lives were like in Scotland and such. The photos I have seen are beautiful but I am more interested in what the people are like, I guess. Anyway, thanks to whomever put all this thing together, I hope I can contribute in some small way.

I am sure you can contribute! Greetings from Glasgow, and welcome to Scotland.com.

Ohio? Ah, I think we have some other members from there. The more, the merrier.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have always found people in Europe to be the most open, friendly persons on earth and I appreciate the opportunity to join in the discussion.

Comment

Hi there menuez, welcome from Oregon. Nice to meet you!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Hi Kathyv,
          Thanks for the greeting...I can't help but love your dog. He is very dancey tonight.

Comment

hi,Menuez,welcome to a great forum,i think you will like it here,i know i do,i have made some very nice friends and i'm sure you will do the same.There is so much to learn here,I have found out alot about my families history, so you just never know what you might learn.well c-ya around the boards,g-bye.

Comment

Well hello there Misery....or is it that you are the Mother of Misery and cast some sort of Scottish spell upon all who reply? Just wondering...
              Anyway, thanks for the nice greeting. So far this forum has been fun and informative and I appreciate your interest. I hope I can learn more about you Scots and maybe something about my own family...

Comment

haha,no no spell or anything just wishing you a interesting stay and its just miserysmother ,nothing bad,just a name.and i just wish i was scottish,i'm from Georga,USA,but still proud,and i still love the Scottish,always will.anyway,c-ya around the boards,g-bye

Comment

Thanks misery, I appreciate your thoughts. So what exactly is it that makes the Scots so special? I have never met one but would like to...

Comment

Dogs

Hi There

I feel the same way - love me/love my dogs. I have a Golden & a Shepard - What kind of dog do you have?

From Frank in New Hampshire.

Comment

A couple of books which might help you understand the way people lived in Scotland in the past:

TC Smout - "A Century of the Scottish People 1830-1950", Fontana, 1987 ISBN 0006861415
                      TC Smout - "A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830", Fontana, 1985 ISBN 0006860273
                      TC Smout - "Scottish Voices 1745-1960", Fontana

Don't have an ISBN number for the last one. Expect you can find them on Amazon or elsewhere.
                      GIRFUY!

Comment

Hey thanks Moose. I appreciate the help. What is your perspective on the Scottish life of the past? I am interested in why my great-great-grandmother, as a young woman, would be so motivated to leave everything behind in her country to come to the states.

Comment

A lot of people didn't have much choice, they were 'cleared' from the land - mainly applies to the Highlands. The Industrial Revolution contributed a lot too, there were land clearances in the Lowlands which are rarely if ever remembered. Moving into the towns and cities brought with it a lot of poverty, with no back-up which was there in the rural areas (extended family, etc.). A lot of peeople thought that they couldn't be any worse off in a new land, so packed up and left.

It's still happening today. Our brightest and best are attracted away from Scotland due to the lack of opportunity, and their places are taken by retired people searching for a 'good life' which exists mainly in their fantasies. Combine that with the plague of second-homers and holiday homes, and another great clearance is under way.

Since we have little or no control over our own affairs, the situation is likely to worsen before it improves...
                          GIRFUY!

Comment

People leaving is not a Scotland only problem, look at Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland. They all have the same problem.
                            There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.

Comment

Moose and Economy Guy,
                              Thanks for the replies. So what you are saying is that the country is now being populated with people who are seeking some idealistic old world experience or quaint lifestyle? Where are the young people going? And are you saying the govt. is to blame or just the lack of technology and such? What would keep young Scots from leaving?

Comment

Working...
                              X