Hullo from Exile in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hullo from Exile in New Zealand

Hi, I've just registered as a new member, and I've been reading the New Member threads. One of the first things I'm looking forward to is receiving something like the great welcomes that I've seen the recent new members get!
    Before you ask - I'm originally from Musselburgh near Edinburgh, and now live in Kawerau, New Zealand. I've just had my 63rd birthday - no smart comments needed about that, thanks.

Hi there MaggiesBoy, welcome from Oregon, USA. What took you to NZ? It sounds like a lovely place.

63 is just entering your prime! Hope it was a happy birthday!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome, Kathyv.
      I left the auld country because shortly after we married in March 1972 my wife said she had always had a hankering to go to New Zealand. So, being a newly married man (and remember in the first 2 years or so you'll do anything for the wee woman) I brought her andmy stepson to N.Z. in June 1973.
      We did 6 years in Brisbane Australia 1979-1985, then back here to N.Z.
      Yes, it's a beautiful country; it even gets close to being on a par with some parts of Scotland (Wash my mouth with soap!).
      My great desire at present is to walk from London to Edinburgh (from Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square to Sir Walter Scott's Monument in Princes Street). Not straight north, but via the east coast mainly. I'm even trying to write a book about that!!! Perhaps if I win a big Lotto prize,I'll be able to do it.

Comment

Only 2 years! LOL! My hubby and I are working on 27, I like to think he'd still do what I ask! LOL (in fact he does as he knows he'll be cooking his own meals if he doesn't! heeheehee)

Your plan to walk from monument to monument sounds interesting, a bit like Bill Bryson's book, 'Notes from a Small Island'. You should do it, write about it, I wonder if there is grant money? What a way to come home!

Comment

Interestingly enough (I hope), Kathyv, I started writing about the WALK on 26 February 2000! Although I've not done the WALK, in fact because I found then that I could NOT get it started due to lack of finances, I decided to start the draft book by writing about my intention and my efforts to get it all going. (I call myself The Scribe, and writing is my passion).
          I've drawn a rough map of the proposed journey, some 578 miles, and I'm allowing 20 miles per day (which should be easy as!?!).
          If anyone is interested, I've made a .pdf file of what I've written so far for ease of sending as an attachment to an email.
          I don't think there is any grant available, 'cause I've sent copies of the draft to various relatives, friends and companies and had no success. I believe that reading about the attempts I've made so far might make hilariousreading to anyone who has the patience to read my rough work.
          Your husband is NOT cooking his own meals after 27 years of marriage - OH! Where did I go wrong????
          This is too long a message for New Members board, I imagine?

Comment

Maybe a bit long, and off what this forum is for, but it's not bad! You might post in the Open Forum, Scotland Dot C*me*n Inn or even the travel forum, you will find more members to visit with there. We also have a Literature Forum you might find usefull!

He does cook a bit, (hamburgers) and if we have any grilling, he gets to do that! LOL A real caveman! Mostly I get tired of everything cooked the same and do it myself! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MaggiesBoy
              Hi, I've just registered as a new member, and I've been reading the New Member threads. One of the first things I'm looking forward to is receiving something like the great welcomes that I've seen the recent new members get!
              Before you ask - I'm originally from Musselburgh near Edinburgh, and now live in Kawerau, New Zealand. I've just had my 63rd birthday - no smart comments needed about that, thanks.
              [i]Hello MaggiesBoy...

sorry for the late Welcome.. but nevertheless... Welcome to Scotland.com from me..

Enjoy your time here with us..

Comment

Originally posted by MaggiesBoy
                Hello MaggiesBoy, how are you? noticed you hail from Musselburgh, well I am from Porty (Portobello) originally, but born in Musselburgh 'The Honest Toon'
                !! I still have relatives there. I have heard NZ is kinda like Scotland, so you will have felt quite at home in a way!!! Enjoy scotland.com, bye for now
                ***bLuE-sKyE***

Comment

Welcome MaggiesBoy...

Kawerau is in the North Island and my brother now lives and works in Hamilton, although he was a resident of Te Aroha until a few years ago.

Excuse the lack of geographical knowledge, but are you far from Hamilton?

I was there myself for a fortnight a couple of years ago and we toured to places like Palmie North and Rotorua - doing the Touristy bit - Loved it all and would go back in an instant!

cheers

Elmy
                  "Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled, Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
                  Welcome to your gory bed, Or to victorie! "

Comment

Elmy, I've visited your website - it's a real humdinger! I've left a visitor's comment on it for you.
                    It's truly one of the best I've ever visited!
                    Kawerau is on the other side of Rotorua from Hamilton,i.e. to the east from Hamilton.
                    It takes us about 3 hours to motor through to Hamilton, as we will be doing on Saturday 22 to meet our son from Auckland.
                    Cheers,
                    David.

Comment

David, thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment in the visitors book. (your email address was not recognised, tho, so could you send me the correct one?) The comment will be added as soon as I get my software back up and running, as my PC suffered a relapse over the past few weeks and has not yet fully recovered.

I enjoyed the driving in New Zealand, as it was so much like home........

Elmy
                      "Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled, Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
                      Welcome to your gory bed, Or to victorie! "

Comment

welcome maggies-boy,sounds like you are a very active young man with a very active life,well welcome and have fun.c-ya later have a nice day,g-bye.

Comment

Elmy, My computer crashed badly - the worst - on Sunday, 16 May. Maybe that's why you could not get through to my email address(?).
                          I'm using a borrowed - and Windows 95 - this weekend to clear my emails etc. Don't quite know what I'm going to do next - no money for repairs or replacement.
                          My address is tkr0013@iconz.co.nz, if you get this before I give the borrowed computer back on Monday!
                          David.

Comment

David I did reply to your email but no response from you.........u have been online since then so would have been nice of you to acknowledge.
                            ***bLuE-sKyE***

Comment

For Blue_Skye (and anyone else who has been terrific and emailed me direct),
                              Sorry, Blue_Skye, my computer crashed badly on Sunday last. I've borrowed a friend's (for this weekend only) and I'm busy trying to let all my email mates know of my predicament. I can't afford to repair or replace, so I'm looking at alternatives.
                              Unfortunately, I lost a lot of inward messages, and all my email addresses when the machine crashed. I've only got the ones I wrote into a notebook.
                              I apologise that I've missed your latest message, and I've not replied, as you say. If you see this before Monday, perhaps you'll take some pity on me and repeat your message to me?
                              I'm doing what I can (on a pension) to get back online.
                              David.

Comment

Working...
                              X