No announcement yet.

I heard Scots had the sexiest accent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard Scots had the sexiest accent...

A loud Yeeeeehaaaaa to Scotland!

I'm a German girl, off to Spain now as I'm having my last semester in Madrid. But the place I always wanted to go to is...Scotland! So, when I'm finished in june, I'll be making major efforts on getting some work experience in your beautiful country!

Plus: Since Lord Of The Rings there is no doubt that the Scottish accent is just incredible! I spent three months in Dublin and four in Nashville, TN, but never heard something as intriguing as Billy Boyd, crying for his second breakfast!

Wanna know everything about Scots, Scottland, and the places to be... waiting for reply.
    Where you go from here is up to you. Which road will you chose? Listen, don't abuse your freedom.
    Paul Wright, "Crashing Down"

Welcome to the site!

I am not Scottish, so can't really tell you much about them, exept that all those on this site is very friendly indeed. I must say that I am totally with you on the accent though! It is delicious

Liza

Comment

Hi there moccachina_1979, welcome from Oregon, USA. Where in Germany are you from?

I am sure you will enjoy your trip to Scotland, it's a beautiful place. Be sure to visit the Travel forum for advice and info.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I will certainly have a look at the Travel Forum, thank you for that hint kathy!

Had a look at some pretty exciting threads yesterday, e.g. religion, or the jokes... hilarious!

I am living close to Cologne at the moment, the town is called "Solingen" and it is known for its quality knifes and scissors... so if you get to the hair-dresser next time, ask him/her about scissors from Solingen/Germany. Maybe he/she knows or even has some!

So, Liza where do you live at the moment? Have you been visiting Scotland recently? I really want to go!

Kathy, how long did you stay in Scotland and where? I heard Glasgow was the place to be... but anyway, I'll have a look at the Travel Forum and get me some more advice.

Was nice talking to you, give me more scoops soon!
        Where you go from here is up to you. Which road will you chose? Listen, don't abuse your freedom.

Comment

yes you are right........

Originally posted by moccachina_1979
          Thanks for the welcome!

I will certainly have a look at the Travel Forum, thank you for that hint kathy!

Had a look at some pretty exciting threads yesterday, e.g. religion, or the jokes... hilarious!

I am living close to Cologne at the moment, the town is called "Solingen" and it is known for its quality knifes and scissors... so if you get to the hair-dresser next time, ask him/her about scissors from Solingen/Germany. Maybe he/she knows or even has some!

So, Liza where do you live at the moment? Have you been visiting Scotland recently? I really want to go!

Kathy, how long did you stay in Scotland and where? I heard Glasgow was the place to be... but anyway, I'll have a look at the Travel Forum and get me some more advice.

Was nice talking to you, give me more scoops soon!

Glasgow is the best for lots of reasons!!

But if you like tourist culture go to Edinburgh.

Comment

Well... I'm not really looking for tourist coulture, that's not my style... I love traveling, but only if I can live in the country like everybody else does. I guess there are a lot of Scottish habits and particularities that are very interesting and I just want to know Scotland and its people and not the best tourist-sites.

I spent a few months in Dublin and it was great just going to work, talk to the people and get my socializing-skills going in the pubs. I never met any other folks that were as good in socializing as them... maybe in Scotland? :-))

Comment

Hiya moccachina_1979 and welcome to Scotland.com !!

For scenery you need to be either on the West coast or in Deeside, yes
              there are more lovely places here but I guess its each to their own choice
              as to which is best !!
              Virtually everywhere is touristy here now but some spots can be
              peaceful even though busy !!

Comment

hey moccachina.
                I live in Texas and have sadly never been to Scotland. I would love to go there one day though. I'd love to go anywhere I have been, really. Stay for a bit, get to know the culture - that's what I'm doing at the moment!

Comment

Thank you guys for the good reply, you are awesome! This is a really cool community, many wonderful, funny people and I can't wait to see how Scotland is just full of people like that...

Quote Liza:
                  Stay for a bit, get to know the culture - that's what I'm doing at the moment!

Liza, I totally understand. That is exactly the way I am with travelling, staying for a while, getting to know the culture and the people and then go to the next place... It's great when you have the time and freedom to do that, I'm gonna finish my studies in june and then there is nothing keeping me from exploring the world!
                  My father is Jamaican and I've never been there, so I will start off there with some kind of voluntary work, e.g. working with kids. Then I'm off to Scotland - already looking for opportunities to make a little money while I'm there... I know from the States that they have farms where you can work for a while before starting travelling. Do they have something like that in Scotland too? Can you think of anything else concerning short term-working?

Maybe Babz or Kathy know...

Nice talking to y'all!

Comment

Moccachina, if you're looking for jobs that tie you over for 6 monhts or so, the Central Belt in Scotland is full of call centres, and some of them are always looking for German speakers.

The Central Belt is the bit of Scotland where all the people live (well, 4 out of the 5 million). Take the map of Scotland, and find Glasgow and Edinburg. Draw a line from coast to coast that goes through both these cities. The central belt extends about 50km North and South of that line. Includes most major towns and cities except Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness (or maybe even including Dundee; Dundonians correct me if I'm wrong please).

When I moved here, I started in a call centre with the intention of just staying for 6 months. Pay isn't fantastic but you *are* here, have some money, and an opportunity to see the country (or the inside of a pub).

Oh, and if you think Scottish accents are sexy, wait till you hear Scottish English with a Dutch accent... Or my German ;-)
                    Greetz from Gwap

Comment

Great help, thank you! And thanks for the geographics-lesson, I will start drawing right away..lol

Did you find a job BEFORE going to Scotland (by internet) or is it better to just go and have a look as soon as you're there?

Now I really want to know what YOUR accent is like...lol

In two weeks I'm off to Spain for a semester. There are Dutch people in my class - the craziest ever by the way - and their accent speaking Spanish is...well...nevermind.. No, seriously, I wouldn't consider mine better actually. And anyway: I met really a lot of Dutch guys during my life and none of them had the slightest idea what SERIOUS CONVERSATION means, they are just too funny! lol
                      Great people - who on earth wants serious talk anyway?

Ok, I'll better stop babbling nonsense now, gotta get back to work...

Thanks Gwap! God bless

Comment

Achtung baby!

Hi moccachina... welcome to S.com.

How the devil are you? What is your favourite colour? What do you most like about me, me and me I mean Scots guys errr...people, info, info, info dahling? Have you ever caught a haggis? Have you grabbed a sporran in absolute ecstacy? Who would most rather eat if you were stuck on a desert island with a famous person and no food?

I am a shy wee Scots lad... ahem (all references to Liza81), and I live in Stranraer, a small town in the very southwest Scotland where it is very beautiful where the rolling hills meet the crashing sea... you can get a ferry to Ireland from here. This a very rural and often forgotten part of Scotland... so if you want a wee peak at my area look up "Dumfries and Galloway" on the web.

Yep you will find a decent job here no problem my Germanic princess, sooo often enough many Germans and Dutch like to holiday here every summer.

Hi Gwap and welcome too, you live in Largs then, it must be the ice cream and fish n' chip shops that kept you there, haha Have you been down to my area, perhaps got the ferry? I don't think Dundonians will agree with the central belt thing though! Nice to see that you stayed here.

Anyhoo I look forward to chatting with you both soon... I'm off to beddie byes, so keep posting ye hear!

Remember the world is tartan!

Comment

Originally posted by moccachina_1979
                          Did you find a job BEFORE going to Scotland (by internet) or is it better to just go and have a look as soon as you're there?
                          Nope. Remember that in those days the internet ran on coal. There was actually an ad up in the common room at uni, and I applied. And they still wanted me.
                          I don't know if it would be appropriate to advertise in this forum that my employer has four call centres in Greenock, but with that hint (and the info in my profile) you should be able to work it out. If you want detailed information, let me know, and then probably best to take that off-line.

Now I really want to know what YOUR accent is like...lol
                          Good! ;-)

I met really a lot of Dutch guys during my life and none of them had the slightest idea what SERIOUS CONVERSATION means, they are just too funny! lol
                          Great people - who on earth wants serious talk anyway?
                          DOH! Someone's found out our secret.

Oh, and d-canmore: Thanks for the welcome. Re Largs: lovely place. Shame I have so little hair left that I won't qualify for the blue rinse that you apparently get from the Pensions people. Loads of wonderful pubs though. With some serious totty behind the bar.

Never actually been in Stranraer, nor on ferry, but been to that wee "book town" you have around there somewhere. Anything to see in Stranraer?
                          Greetz from Gwap

Comment

Re: Achtung baby!

How the devil are you? What is your favourite colour? What do you most like about me, me and me I mean Scots guys errr...people, info, info, info dahling? Have you ever caught a haggis? Have you grabbed a sporran in absolute ecstacy? Who would most rather eat if you were stuck on a desert island with a famous person and no food?

I am a shy wee Scots lad
                            Hoooo...what a humble name you have, Mr. d-canmore! lol
                            I definetely agree with Liza81, you are most shy and sweet - a real introvert. lol
                            Strange questions you have indeed... My favourite colour?! Well, I dont't know, usually I am more about colour-combinations. Like orange and black, blue and black, red and black. wait... maybe my favourite colour ist black!!lol... no chance, I'd rather say green. I love nature and green eyes, so that would be a good indicator maybe.

Ok, ,what I most like about you, you and you and maybe other Scots guys too, I will explain to you when you give me a translation of that "haggis" and "sporran" thing. lol
                            You naughty, naughty boy! LMAO... But imagining being on a desert island with a Scotsman in a kilt now sounds kind of... nevermind...lol But the question is: If you're living in such a beautiful, gorgious area, what the... do you want on a desert island?!

No, seriously, your language...rocks! In one word (maybe two) it makes me happy to listen to Scottish people! You are almost singing while talking... awesome! And as I said: I LOVE green eyes!!LMAO ok, blue isn't bad either... No, I'm NOT talking smatters!lol
                            If you are honest, those are really deep topics! LMAO That's what everybody's thinking and what girls REALLY care about!lol

Man, I am having sooooo much fun here - almost only by myself! LMAO Thank you!

...and I didn't hear that "Germanic Princess"-thing!

I don't know if it would be appropriate to advertise in this forum that my employer has four call centres in Greenock, but with that hint (and the info in my profile) you should be able to work it out.
                            T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!!! I worked it oooouuut, I worked it oooouuut!!! Eh, nevermind, it's still too early to be serious, ain't it? lol
                            I'll see what I can do, I am actually very excited about Glasgow at the moment, so that would be an option.

You wanna read some really funny stuff? Go to the C*Mon*in-forum, there is a "jokes"-thread and it's AWESOME! You'll love it, I promise!

Love to talk to you guys, keep it coming! Blessings, China

Comment

Working...
                            X