Happy Hogmanay from the Highlands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Hogmanay from the Highlands!

Just registered so I thought I'd best say hello to all at Scotland.com and I hope you all had a grand hogmany.

Regards,

Real_Highlander.

A very warm welcome to you!
    Hope you will stick around on the site. It is quite addictive, as you'll see.
    As I am South-African I know nothing about Hogmany, but it sounds like a great party! Any excuse will do, hey

Liza

Comment

Hiya Real_Highlander and welcome to our happy band of members !!

Where are you at??

Hogmanay was a washout here in Aberdeen, the street concerts were
      cancelled due to the bad storm we had that night !!

The city was very quiet which was good for parking near the harbour to
      hear the ships blasting their horns at midnight, it sounded like the whales
      in that Star Trek Movie...lol

PS. If anyone saw four drowned people enjoying that, it was me, Jim, my
      cousin and her hubby...lol

Comment

Babz you are so funny! I would have loved to have drowned with you, I love hearing ships out at sea... i used to live in Portsmouth, NH and it was like that sometimes.

Welcome, Highlander! How was your Hogmanay? Did you do a lot of drinking or were you more respectable?(wink) I have heard a little about FirstFoot and i'm still trying to picture what different people do... did you do any of that this year or have visitors? I don't think i've even had a visitor yet!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Im in Inverness Babz, the only place that never got hit by the stormy weather, strange because the A9 north and South was shut and also the A96 was shut but there was not a breath of wind here and it was a respectable 4 degrees C so of course I was away first footin with ma lump of coal and a bag fill of booze, I finaly made it home on the second of January after visiting more people than I can remember, so all in all it was quite a good hogmanay. HollyElise I always reckon it is better to go out visiting other people at hogmanay rather than have them round at mine as hogmanay can sometimes run into 3 or 4 days and it can be difficult to get rid of your visitors when you have finaly had enough and want to hit the hay, as well as the fact that after a hogmanay party you usually need to put down new carpets after the mess that all the partygoers make.

Comment

Hello and Welcome to the boards
            much love,
            ~ Carolyn Leanne

Comment

Originally posted by Real_Highlander
              HollyElise I always reckon it is better to go out visiting other people at hogmanay rather than have them round at mine as hogmanay can sometimes run into 3 or 4 days and it can be difficult to get rid of your visitors when you have finaly had enough and want to hit the hay, as well as the fact that after a hogmanay party you usually need to put down new carpets after the mess that all the partygoers make.
              hahahaha! Good to know!

There used to be an American tradition that when you wanted to hint to your houseguests that they had stayed long enough, you would set out the broom where they would see it ready to be used. These days i guess when you wish to sleep and have peace at hogmanay, you could pull out the Hoover, and if THAT'S not enough, you could turn it on. LOL! I think even the totally drunk would take the hint.

Well my housemate Desiree was dumped by her boyfriend of many years on New Years Eve and the friend i went out with to a bar that night became overbearing, making me cry, and i had to walk out to get away from him and it was just as they were counting down to midnight. Anyway, what i really meant to say was as consequence we did not have a first foot until today... but he was tall, dark and handsome and we offered him drink... that is good luck, right?

Comment

Hi there Real_Highlander, welcome from Oregon, USA.
                Hogmany was a wash out here, too.... We had a big storm as well. I spent a night in Inverness a year and a half ago.... it's a very pretty place. Our hotel room looked over the river Ness and we had a great view of all the neat buildings along there.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Hi Real_Highlander

Hi from Florida I don't know what hogmany is but could you tell me please, interested

Thanx
                  Jacqueline
                  JacquelineC

Comment

Hi Jacqueline, Hogmanay is the New year celebrations in Scotland Starting on the 31st of December and for some of us it can end up lasting about 3 or 4 days, I eventually found myself home on the 2nd or 3rd of January, cant honestly remember exactly, probably got something to do with all the alchohol that was consumed, lol! I usually go out first footin after the bells and then just follow the party trail until I end up back at home.If you ever get the chance you should get yerself over to the Edinburgh hogmanay party, I've never been down to it before but I am planning it next year to see what all the fuss is about , as a lot of people seem to make their way to Edinburgh for it and it seems to be getting bigger every year.

Comment

Jacqueline you may be able to help me out with some things seens as you are from Florida. I am coming over to the States to work some time next month and I am going to be either in Savannah Georgia or somewhwere in Kentucky. Now I reckon I will be going to Savannah so would you know how far it is to travel from there to Orlando as a few of the guys im going out to work with all want to go there for a weekend once we get settled in. Im led to belive that it is only a short drive is this true?

Comment

Savanna to Orlando

Hey Real_Highlander,
                        So it's going to be Savanna, I think you'll like it more than Kentucky. Savanna is a seaport town, and very historic. It has beautiful old buildings and culture, and many cobblestone streets. Horse drawn carriages as well, and the southern food will make your mouth water.
                        Now for your question about the distance from there to Orlando. Well, it's about 200 or so miles and all interstate,(autoban)driving, so you don't have to stop at all the small towns unless you want to.
                        Sounds like you are planning on visitng Epcot Center and Disney World?????
                        Anyway have fun and enjoy yourself while here.
                        BillR

Comment

Thanks for the replies GWR53, yeah it looks like its going to be Savannah, so in the six months im going to be there im wanting to go and do the tourist thing when im no working because i've never been away from home before and want to experience as much as I can while I am there. If anyone can recomend anywhere interesting to go and see in that area I would appreciate your advice.

Cheers now,

Real_Highlander.

Comment

Yes! Go to New Orleans and eat and eat and eat! New Orleans is perhaps the most famous place in the world for fine eating.

Comment

Lot's of excitement

Hello Real_Highlander,
                              These are just a few suggestions that may come in helpful.

If you travel north on I-95 you will find South Carolina and there is Myrtle Beach.

If you travel NW on I-75 you'll come to Atlanta, Georgia, which has many attractions, such as the Atlanta underground,(many fine places to party there).

South on I-95 into Florida will take you past Jacksonville, and Orlando, Daytona, and many other good places to party and explore. Then on down all the way to Miami, and continue on to the end to Key West.

I hope that this helps, and enjoy the culture and fine Southern dining while you're here.
                              BillR

Comment

Working...
                              X