No announcement yet.

Yet another Scot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jamie_jame20, (or can I just called you Jamie?)...

My feelings are that every place has it's fair share of positives and negatives, the positives sometimes only visible from a distance, and the negatives only visible sometimes from inside.

I read somewhere recently that more than half of Americans don't have a passport. I can see how that is the case, with every state being different from the next, in climate and in culture (at least that is my perception).

The same could be applied to Scotland. The Borders is different from the central belt joining Glasgow and Edinburgh, different from the islands, and so on...

I found this out on a tour of the islands off our west coast. However, I feel like most Scots are much happier to go off to sunnier climates such as the package tour of Spain, or Florida (I'm not knocking it -- I had a wonderful time driving a Buick round that state).

It's a shame that most don't visit other parts of their own land.

Do most folks have a perception of Scotland being like Siberia? That's just Aberdeen It's may be cold to someone from the Southern US, but it's a tropical paradise to an Icelander.

Comment

Originally posted by scottaldo
      jamie_jame20, (or can I just called you Jamie?)...

It's a shame that most don't visit other parts of their own land.

Do most folks have a perception of Scotland being like Siberia? That's just Aberdeen It's may be cold to someone from the Southern US, but it's a tropical paradise to an Icelander.

Yes, you may call me Jamie. I don't really think Scotland is like Siberia. (I can always bring a coat ) I want to visit Scotland because it's so rich in history. Although so is every other place over there, but Scotland is different. Call me crazy,or a dreamer, but I feel like Scotland is the place that I need to go to. I have been to places here in the U.S., there will be other times to go other places here, I doubt there will be more than one chance for me to go to Scotland. There's just something about it. I don't know. Of course, deep down there is the hope that when I do go and visit, I'll be swept off my feet by some handsome Highland Lord! (but the again, maybe I have been reading too many romance novels...)

Comment

hey jamie....is tht ur name???

i luv scotland...but i really want to go to new zealand..probably because i live so close to scotland

wots the craic???

Comment

Yes, that's my name. Where do you live at? I've never really thought about going to New Zealand. My main goal is Scotland though. If I get there before I'm thirty, I'll be happy for the rest of my life. (Maybe)

P.S. wots the craic??? (I don't understand the question?)

Comment

Are you from Aberdeen then Scott? Thats one of the only cities I've not been to yet.
            I'm no Scotland expert, but I think I can second what you are saying about Scots being different in different regions, at least from an outsiders view as well.
            BTW, craic is a hard word to define I think ( I dont know if I've ever heard a literal trans) but it mainly means party, or good atmosphere, fun, that sort of thing. Like pubs sometimes have signs saying 'the craic is here.' Its from Gaelic. OK...maybe I should let someone who knows more explain....

Comment

misswanderlust, I'm not from Aberdeen, but did live and work there for a few years.

It is a superb city. The third largest in Scotland, yet just the right size to comfortably walk across, and festooned with some lovely old buildings. Just don't confuse the granite with concrete blocks.

The city made it's money with North Sea oil, and you'll usually see helicopters taking people from Dyce airport out to the rigs.

If you are interested in the outdoors, Aberdeen serves you well, with forests and trails to hand, and Balmoral a cycle trip away.

The only thing you have to put up with is bitter winters, with a stiff breeze coming off the North Sea onto the "beach".

Comment

Hi there slackies and jamie_jame20! Welcome from Oregon, USA! Have a great time here visiting!

Jamie, if you are from the south and want to get an idea if you will like winters in Scotland or not, try going to New England or the Pacific Northwest coast during the winter and see if you can do the weather! It's close! Do go! Even when it's raining on you it's wonderful!!!!!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

very big welcome

you've met quite a few of the locals it seems, but thought i would drop in and introduce myself since we seem to have a bit of a motorcycle fettish in common!

I live in Wyoming, but spend lots of my time in South Dakota right near....Sturgis! A biker's dream location...ever visited or heard about the rally?

Comment

Sturgis,

Yep! signs all over the place when we drove through on our way to Rushmore. Nice town, I liked it!

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

Yeah, I've seen Sturgis on video.

Play "Where's my bike parked" in town with the H-D cruisin' and head out of town for the stunts, burnouts and sportsbikes.

For a limited time only (my homepage is full of partially finished junk and dead links)...

Comment

Working...
                      X