Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings! ......I love Scotland!

Hello!

I live in Ohio... and i've absolutely fallen in love with Scotland and things Scottish, both ancient and new. And I've been on quite a Scottish odyssey of late! Everywhere I turn I see signs.... is it Scotland herself calling me home?...

I think so!!!!!

Almost two years ago I made a Scottish friend online. Last year, I decided to take my first overseas trip EVER... and I went alone to Aberdeen. I absolutely LOVED it! It is one of the most wonderful memories I have in my life and always will be.

I knew I had some Scottish blood in me... my mother's maiden name is Daniels, and I always felt closest to her family. But little did I know the name originated in Aberdeen... and that THAT is where my ancestors sailed from to America so long ago!!! Doo-doo doo-doo, Doo-doo doo-doo (Twilight Zone!) What are the chances that on my very first voyage overseas I would travel to the VERY CITY in the whole world that originated the family name I feel closest to? hmmmmmm.... spooky!

Recently I was contacted by a cousin who now lives in Israel, and does family genealogy on my father's side. Growing up I always thought of myself as American, and certainly that is a fact, but now I am amazed to learn how much Scottish blood I have in me on both sides... Daniels (mother's maiden name), Lord, Forbes (my father's first name, named after his grandmother's family name), MacIntyre (Scotch-Irish), Henderson (my dad's mum), Urquhart, and a couple of other Scottish names have turned up so far. It's starting to look like I have bloody little else in me! [grin]

I'm a prime example that the Scots settled America!!!

Anyway... I will make my second trip to Scotland before the year is out, and I'm going to look into returning to college there... to study art... in part because I would like to spend some extended time in Scotland. So on my trip I hope to visit the school in Glasgow, among others.

I really look forward to meeting people at this website, and hope to learn more about you soon!

Holly

Hi Holly,
    Welcome to the forum! I think you'll enjoy it here. I'm from Rochester, NY and I feel the same connection to Scotland that you do. I have ancestors from the Clan Gordon and the Clan Lindsay. But, alas, unlike you, I have yet to make my first overseas voyage. I'm saving for it though! I want to see everything there is to see, but particularly Inverness, the Highlands, Orkney, and the Hebrides. Take care.
    Gwen

Comment

Hello, hollyElise. Greetings from Glasgow and welcome to Scotland.com. Your certainly do seem to have a fine collection of Scottish names in your family! So what are your planning to study if you come to Glasgow?

Comment

Hi there HollyElise, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your time here and meet a lot of great folks.

Be sure to visit the National Gallery in Edinburgh when you go to Scotland, it's wonderful and if you like art, it's a great place to see some Scottish artists work.

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

Comment

thank you!

Thank you everyone for a wonderful welcome!

GWEN, round trip tickets to Scotland are rather cheap at the moment, partly because it's off-season... about $460 or less round trip from Cleveland, so it'd be even cheaper for you from New York. And Scotland has many delightful and inexpensive bed & breakfasts... particularly in the highlands and the north. I saw as low as 25 pounds a night with a shared bath and a breakfast so hearty it can last you til dinner! I think I can do a week long trip for as little as $1000... If you think you can do this and want to know more, let me know and I'll give you more details on where to find cheap tickets and B&B's online. I haven't publicly posted my email yet... does this website have U2U messaging? (that's where you can email others without knowing their address).

CELYN, I plan to study photography and possibly painting as well. I have studied some photography here and actually run a photography co-operative with darkrooms for a college. I like doing slightly quirky portraits, and photos of old buildings or parts of them that set certain moods, and sometimes I like using primitive cameras like pinholes or Holgas. I have sold some of my photos, had commissions, and exhibited a little. I'm also a fairly good painter. I wish I could show you... it's my hope to set up a website this year.

KATHY, I loved the large gallery in Aberdeen, which also had a fine collection of traditional Scottish art.. though I confess I was more interested in what artists are doing today. When I was there though... they also had a wonderful exhibit of Pompei art and a very dynamic juried show of current Scottish and European ceramicists... from printing or transferring photos on ceramics to wonderful rustic looking stuff.

Are any of you artists?

Holly

Comment

Working...
          X