Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celin & Lowlander
    I am also from that end of Glasgow,grew up in Garthamlock
    in the day's when the only chippie around was in Shettleston & the only off licence for miles (that would sell to 15/16 year olds ) was in Budhill

Mamie

Where was your Dad from

Candy
    Good luck in finding your ancestors lets have some names
    and hopefully some will be able to help

Comment

I remember Shettleston used to have an off-sales that was owned by Andy Cameron, Andy's cheerie bubbles I think it used to be called. I used to frequent a cafe on Shettleston road, just facing Chester st. But I can't remember it's name now. The double nougats were brilliant though
      Shettleston isn't too different form when I lived there, but a lot of Barlanark has been pulled down and rebuilt, round about the Calvay rd/crescent - Barlanark rd. area. They pulled down the el-passo pub in Barlanark too.
      100% Air a dhèanamh ann an Alba.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Lowlander
        Still drive through Budhill occasionaly as my wife's family are from Barlanark.
        A used tae live on Shettleston road, near the gushet. Still see Shettleston as 'home' though
        As for driving through Budhill area - you just might want to consider a boat or amphibious craft next time!

And - how funny - not even heard anyone say "the Gushet" for ages - but it is that bit that always confused me as a kid by not exactly being Shettleston, and not exactly being Parkhead? (Near some kind of council lighting works, I think)

My brothers and I just gave up and called it "Sharkhead", to save the effort of deciding!

Oops - I quite rudely taking over our New Members' thread here. DO stay around, and find something that interest you areound the boards - and if there is nothingi you find amusing, well, start you own threads. Will look forward to seeing you all around.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmcclymont
          Celin & Lowlander
          I am also from that end of Glasgow,grew up in Garthamlock
          in the day's when the only chippie around was in Shettleston & the only off licence for miles (that would sell to 15/16 year olds ) was in Budhill.
          haha - cousins lived in Garthamlock too!

Comment

Hi John

My dad was born somehwere near Edinburgh during WW1 - don't know exactly. His older brother was born in Canada and the family went back to visit the families just before the start of the war and stayed in Scotland until after the war and then returned to Canada.

Grandad was from Duncansby in Caithness and Grandmother was supposedly born in US to Scottish parents who returned to live in Edinburgh but they had Caithness connections as well.

Comment

Hi I'm a new member from USA.

Interested in all things Scottish, especially geneaology.

I look forward to joining in the discussion.

Comment

Hello blackcomyn. Welcome to Scotland.com. I see you have found the geneaology forum already.

Comment

Working...
                X