Scottish wildlife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish wildlife

I've always been very interested in the wildlife of many different countries and continents. Leaving a animal documentary in around me is often a mistake, as I will watch all of it then the next one and next one lol.

I just watched a doco on Iceland the other day, first time I've ever heard of a puffin. Weird looking but amazing animal.

So what's the wildlife like in Scotland? Are there any animals that iconic to the country? (I.e what kangaroos, koalas and platypus' are to Australia).

What makes these animals so amazing?

What is your favourite wildlife animal of Scotland?

Puffins
    Scottish wildcat
    Ptarmigan
    Hare
    Grouse
    Golden eagle
    Osprey
    Seals
    Capercaillie
    Red squirrels

Amongst others!

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth View Post
      Puffins
      Scottish wildcat
      Ptarmigan
      Hare
      Grouse
      Golden eagle
      Osprey
      Seals
      Capercaillie
      Red squirrels

Amongst others!
      It might be just me but for a lot of those animals, with the exception of the Scottish Wildcat, doesn't scream uniquely and solely Scottish. As the bald eagle does for America.

My favourite Scottish dogs at the moment is the Scotch Collie, I also think the Shetland Sheepdog are cute.

Comment

as far as i know...the wild haggis can only be found in Scotland
        the sevcohun used to be just local to Scotland and Ireland but i believe theyre more wide spread now

Comment

any real animals?

Comment

highland coo's?

midge's?

ah.....the scottish wood ant is only found here for sure

Wood Ants - The Scottish Wood Ant - Wildlife in Scotland UK

Comment

The Scottish Crossbill is a distinct species specific to Scotland. The humble Hieland Coo may have spread beyond our borders nowadays, but started off here. Pine Martens - not sure about those but think they're only found up here nowadays, having been killed off elsewhere.
              GIRFUY!

Comment

Walked the "wildcat trail" a few years ago, but didn't see any wildcats sad enough. So we went to a zoo and admired them there

Comment

Originally posted by TurboLine View Post
                  It might be just me but for a lot of those animals, with the exception of the Scottish Wildcat, doesn't scream uniquely and solely Scottish. As the bald eagle does for America.

My favourite Scottish dogs at the moment is the Scotch Collie, I also think the Shetland Sheepdog are cute.
                  The Scotch Collie .
                  Is that an alcohol vegetable dish ?

Comment

Although not unique to this country the Red deer is a species which is often seen as iconic/possibly the most iconic. The sight/sound of Red deer stags roaring on a Scottish hillside in the autumn is something that never fails to impress, no matter how many times it is witnessed. Despite routinely encountering the Red deer I still find them fascinating after all these years and for me they are the one familiar sight that reminds me most of home.

Comment

Working...
                    X