Most Famous/Best Scottish songs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Famous/Best Scottish songs?

I have heard of Loch Lomond but I'd love to hear some good scottish songs!

'Sam the Skull'

Comment

Originally posted by Raving Madman View Post
      Check out The Corries: Scotland the Brave and Flower of Scotland are good examples!
      Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

Comment

Is this a scottish song??

YouTube - The March of Cambreadth

Comment

Not Scottish, but one of my favorite performances of a song from Ireland....simply beautiful:

YouTube - The Dubliners - In The Rare Old Times

Here is an old time Scotch-Irish folk song in the American bluegrass tradition:

YouTube - Down In The Willow Garden

And here is a modern Scotch-Irish American ballad from the mountains of Appalachia:

YouTube - Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
          Last edited by Auld Chiel; 13th January 2011, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Raving Madman View Post
            Google, to pick a few examples "Vatersay Boys", "Peatbog Faeries" and "Croftwerk".

Comment

Lianachan, I take it by mentioning Croftwerk you're not referring to the new music video production outfit based in Manchester?

Comment

Originally posted by ScotSites View Post
                Lianachan, I take it by mentioning Croftwerk you're not referring to the new music video production outfit based in Manchester?
                Indeed not. Typo, I meant "Croftwork" - a fine album by the Peatbog Faeries.

Considerably more Scottish than Paul McCartney's "Mulligan's Tyre", as bizarrely suggested above!

I think there's a band from Uist called Croftwerk, now I think about it.

Edited - Turns out they spell it Kroftwerk. But I did originally mean that album.

Comment

Originally posted by Lianachan View Post
                  Indeed not. Typo, I meant "Croftwork" - a fine album by the Peatbog Faeries.

Considerably more Scottish than Paul McCartney's "Mulligan's Tyre", as bizarrely suggested above!
                  I take it that you mean "Mull of Kintyre" (Maol Chinn Týre) at the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula in Argyll. What is so non-Scottish about that song?

Comment

No matter what you originally meant Lianachan, your typo has brought some more worthwhile stuff to our attention!

As for the mention of Macca's biggest hit (with Wings at least), if that is to be included as a Scottish song then we probably should also include The Long and Winding Road as apparently its about the long and winding road that runs down the eastern side of the Kintyre peninsula!

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Chiel View Post
                      I take it that you mean "Mull of Kintyre" (Maol Chinn Týre) at the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula in Argyll. What is so non-Scottish about that song?
                      What is so Scottish about Paul McCartney?

Comment

Originally posted by Lianachan View Post
                        What is so Scottish about Paul McCartney?
                        He's of Gaelic blood, which is a good deal more than can be said about many of the so-called "Scots" that live in Scotland nowadays with names like Kahn, Singh, Patel, Goldberg or Jacoboski.

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Chiel View Post
                          He's of Gaelic blood, which is a good deal more than can be said about many of the so-called "Scots" that live in Scotland nowadays with names like Kahn, Singh, Patel, Goldberg or Jacoboski.
                          Ah, so it's racism now. Jolly good. What about the so-called "Scots" that live in, say, the USA? More Scottish than somebody born and bred here? Not to me. Not to anybody I know.

Comment

Auld Chiel, do you think McCartney's song was about the southern tip of the Kintyre peninsula? The video that accompanied it certainly wasn't set there (it was actually set about two thirds of the way down the long and winding road that I previously mentioned! )

As for your continued racist remarks AC, some of those with the names you mention are actually more Scottish than Macca will ever claim to be... having a Mc prefix on your name does not make you a Gael!

Comment

Working...
                            X