Sean Connery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Connery

Joan McAlpine did an interview that is being serialised in the Sun (yes, God forgive me for going into the toilet of journalism) and is worth a look if you like Sean C that is.

Sean Connery: My 40-year love affair | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scotland Features

Sean Connery's accent

Hi,

I'd like to know if Sean Connery's accent is typically Scottish, and especially if his lisp can be considered as part of the Scottish accent or is only a sort of speech impairement?
    Can I have the opinion of native Scots about this?

Comment

Yes his accent is typically Scottish and to a native Scot it would be apparent that he came from Edinburgh or east Scotland. I'm not aware that he talks with a lisp or has any speech impediment. I think what you are referring to is his pronunciation of some words which isn't typical of someone with his Edinburgh working class background because obviously to make himself understood in films he has had to modify his pronunciation.
      "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Andy!
        The reason why I asked this is that I've been reading Trainspotting and when Sickboy speaks to himself with Sean Connery's voice, he uses the sound 'sh' instead of 's'. So I wondered if this was related to his personnal pronunciation or to a sort of caricature of the Scottish accent, considering none of the characters speaks the same way in the book.

Comment

Sean Connery prounounces s as sh which I think is called a sibilant rather than a lisp and sickboy is making an exagerated caricature of his personal pronunciation - it's not a pronunciation that is common amongst Scots.
          "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Big Sean - we love you !!!

Comment

Ssss - shhh

In gaidhig, 's' is very often pronounced 'sh', especially at the start of a word.
              Sile - Shiela
              Sine - Sheena
              Sean - Shawn
              etc.

Comment

shea shide

Comment

the Sound of the Sibilant S is it

Comment

Also, around Edinburgh and district (esp Musselburgh and Dalkeith aka Dollkeith), though maybe not used so much now, there used to be a habit of pronouncing "th'' as "sh".

So "three" became "shree" and "through" became "shroo".

I know, like many local council kids, I picked up the bad habit myself as a boy until the school knocked it out of me !

Another Scot who notably uses the "sh" for "th" is Ally McCoist, but I don't know where he was brought up.

Comment

Sean used to have beautiful phonetic pronunciation but since he got his dentures he's had that swish in his voice.

Comment

Did he have to pay extra for the swish ?

Comment

Working...
                        X