Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm i was just wondering,how old is Scotland?

Some of the rocks in Scotland are up to 3,000 million years old... so I guess Scotland is up to 3,000 million years old!
    Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

Comment

we could cut a bit off n count the rings i suppose

Comment

Do you mean 'inhabited'?

Comment

Yeah the USA is only a bit over 200 years old. Thats a baby compared to Scotland, England and Ireland.

Comment

If you mean 'how long has Scotland been inhabited?' then that's been 12,000 years or so (ie since the end of the last ice age)... but if you mean 'how long has it been known as Scotland?' then that's only been about 1,000 years!

If we apply the first of the above questions to the USA then you'd probaly get the same answer; its only the arrogance of Americans that the land they live in is only seen to be a couple of hundred years old... why don't you recognise the land had a history even if most of the people who live there can't associate with it?

Comment

200 years?

theres burial grounds in America dating from 3000bc so i think your calculators broke

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmyusa View Post
                Yeah the USA is only a bit over 200 years old. Thats a baby compared to Scotland, England and Ireland.
                The USA must be on a different planet then , eh

Comment

I think her calculator is broke too.

Half of my ancestors have been in America for thousands of years. My other half were in Scotland at least around 100AD

I'm amazed at how Americans think that life in this country began with their ancestors immigration.

Comment

It may be that the question is in regard the the age of the nation of Scotland , the political entity not the land itself , and the USA reference is in the same vein .

Comment

If you read my last response Dut you will see I answered that too. In most cases (the USA might be an exception) the fact is, despite when a political entity came in to existance the people already lived there... all that really changes is a name and (in some, possibly even most, cases) the person/people in charge!

When all is taken in to consideration, I still stand by earlier comment: its arrogant of Americans to only recognise a couple of hundred years of their homeland's existance! Scotland might only be 1,000 years old, but many of our ancestors lived here for potentially another 11,000!

Comment

Originally posted by ScotSites View Post
                        If you read my last response Dut you will see I answered that too.
                        My post was not a reply to yours .

Comment

Originally posted by Duthill View Post
                          My post was not a reply to yours .
                          And nobody said it was!

Comment

Originally posted by ScotSites View Post
                            And nobody said it was!
                            So what exactly was the point of your petty post ?

Comment

Originally posted by Duthill View Post
                              So what exactly was the point of your petty post ?
                              Nothing petty about it in my opinion. No doubt you'll have more to say on this matter, so I'll just leave you to it...

Comment

Working...
                              X