Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet! I'll check it out. (I don't follow Nascar either

Comment

Nascar ? Isn't that a US stock exchange ?

Anyone remember the episode of Top Gear when the 3 stalwarts went to the American South and bought cars on a very, very low budget. The aim was to buy the best cars they could for the money, then drive their way to New Orleans and try to sell them for as much as possible when they got there. First one there to sell his car successfully won.

One of the other cars had been sprayed along the sides by Jeremy Clarkson to give a bit more colour to the event. The graffiti read I HATE NASCAR !!!!. All was well until said car made a garage stop in rural Alabama and the woman owner, seeing the graffiti, got on the phone and minutes later, her angry sons arrived in a pick-up, toting shootin' irons !. The BBC guy got the hell out just in time !

Mind you, the angry hicks routine was more than likely hammed up for TV.

Comment

I remember that episode Lachlan and, like you, I reckon the locals' reaction was just a good old bit of added entertainment value... tho I'm not sure I would have liked to be driving that car around the area at the time!
        Support CHAS the Children's Hospice Association Scotland

Comment

Presumably Scotland is as old as the earth is, but it is believed that this land was inhabited as far back as 12,300 years ago.

Comment

Then wouldn't all countries be as old as the earth...

except for one... it may have been imported from Mars *wink*

Comment

some will be younger than other

what with volcanoes n that

Lachlan i watched that one the other day...they even tried to sue TG because the FREE car they where offering wasnt the exact model they advertised

Comment

Kimmy ,
                some give the year 843 , when King Kenneth MacAlpin united the kingdoms of Dalriada (Scots) and the Picts , as the birth date of the political nation of Scotland .

Comment

My tribe in the US has been dated here in the south east way longer than 12,000 years.

Most I know about my ancestors of Scotland, they landed there around 100 AD... supposedly a from Viking background. I was always wondering if there were other resources to verify that... but that's old... so probably impossible. Maybe one day, I'll look into it further. If anyone knows any resources, that would be cool.

Anyways guys, Jimmy Buffett concert... so I'm off for the day. cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by JCfromGA View Post
                    Most I know about my ancestors of Scotland, they landed there around 100 AD... supposedly a from Viking background.
                    From what I can gather, the first recorded Viking raids on Scotland took place towards the end of the 8th century... that of course doesn't mean that people from Scandinavian areas didn't find their way across here before then, so good luck trying to find any evidence (tho I think it might be more than luck you need)!

Comment

I think you're definitely right.. lol. I have the writings on it... but not the text it's pulled from. NC was a land grant state during the Clearances... so there's a lot of immigration paperwork (of course that really goes back) could be a lot of 'stories told down' that was eventually put to paper

Comment

Originally posted by JCfromGA View Post
                        could be a lot of 'stories told down' that was eventually put to paper
                        That could be it; while the stories are an important part of the culture of a person (or group of people) it doesn't mean they are based on facts. According to the Declaration of Arbroath, the Scots journeyed from Greater Scythia by way of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Pillars of Hercules, and dwelt for a long course of time in Spain and, up to Robert the Bruce there have reigned one hundred and thirteen kings of their own royal stock, the line unbroken a single foreigner... all great stuff, but nothing that can be proved (even at the time of writing)!

Another story concerns Clan Donald: the clan itself originated from Domhnall mac Raghnaill, one of the grandsons of Somerled; according to tradition, Somerled was descended from Conn of the Hundred Battles... and while I am sure there are some people who will claim Conn was a real person, but what do we know about him other than some myths and legends? Not that that matters to some MacDonalds today who still claim to be descended from Somerled and Conn even tho they can't really prove it! (The reason I have chosen that particular clan is because I have had discussions with people, well a certain person anyway, that have made exactly that last claim and just expect people to believe it because they do!)

So JC, if you want to stick to your Viking origins story, feel free... as I said above, the stories are important, no matter how unbelievable or more unverifiable they might be!

Comment

lol... In that case, I'm going to create one better than that

I'll have to find the paperwork... it's in one of my file cabinets... I haven't looked at it in years so the details are foggy. Maybe when I get home later today.

Comment

Working...
                          X