The Most Prolific Scottish Film Star?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Prolific Scottish Film Star?

Here's a question for ye, who appeared in more films than anybody else? born Scotland, stage & character actor, over 100 movies to his name.
    wullie.
    Last edited by wullie m; 7th October 2010, 07:47.

Lassie ?

Comment

Elliott Mason?

Comment

Originally posted by wullie m View Post
        Here's a question for ye, who appeared in more films than anybody else? born Scotland, stage & character actor, over 100 movies to his name.
        wullie.
        Johnnie Laurie ? or Findlay Currie ?

Comment

The anwer is Donald Meek. wullie.

Comment

The next question (by many members in one unified voice)

Who's Donald Meek ?

(I know I know, don't be lazy, look it up on the internet !)

Comment

Ohhh ! That Donald Meek ! I instantly recognised the face !

Comment

I think you're stretching the meaning of Scots here, Wullie, eh no? His screen triumphs were American triumphs. Let's not steal credit from them..!

He died before I was born (according to wikipedia - yes, I had to go and look him up!)

Comment

We're talking movie stars here, which by definition, means Hollywood, Meek was as Scottish as Connery, only a more prolific, if character, artist. There is nobody comes close.
                  This was the time when folk went to the pictures several times a week if possible, there were picture houses everywhere. Glasgow in particular, had an aversion to British pictures, they wanted escapism, glamour, adventure, romance, etc', they wanted Hollywood (still do), not a load of old bollox from Pinewood Studios.
                  wullie.

Comment

C'moan
                    He wis a circus laddie that ended up in Hollywood (good for him, byraway).

Tommy Connery has NEVER been my idea of a Scots 'star' ....... !

Comment

/me googles donald meek

oh him....../me has blank expression lol

dont think ive seen any of his movies tho

has sean connery not been in more than 100 movies?

Comment

Not saying he's prolific, but would Hugh Grant be considered Scottish or English?

Comment

Oooh complicated ! Depends on him really. I think he was born and raised in England but his dad was Scottish - Roderick Grant (author and ex-officer of the 51st Highland Division in WW2), so he could claim to be Scottish if he wishes.

Interestingly, Gordon Ramsay (my son's hero ! ), born in Scotland but raised in England from childhood, definitely sees himself as Scottish.

Comment

James McAvoy??? He's fantastic and only getting better. He is of Scottish origin I believe, but now lives in England...

Comment

How's about Tommy Flanagan ? Much under-rated and oft-seen bad guy (it's that scar you know) !

Comment

Working...
                              X