The Austin Powers trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Austin Powers trilogy

I'm curious-I've been to some Irish and English forums, and was told they liked the Austin Powers movies. What did Scottish audiences think about the Austin Powers movies? Did people like Fat B*st*rd?

Did anyone here see the Austin Powers movies?

Comment

Can't say I'm a fan of Mike Myers at the best of times so no, I didn't seek them out & apart from catching a few minutes when they have been on TV, which I dodn't find very funny at all, no I've not seen a whole film.

Comment

Pogofish, did you think the fat Scotsman character was offensive?

Comment

THAT is some rhetorical question.

Comment

Originally posted by brewster
            Mavericker, did you think the fat Scotsman character was offensive? In what way was he offensive to you? Is it because he was fat? Or was it because he was a Scotsman? If he had been a thin Scotsman would you have found him offensive? How about a fat Englishman? Or even a thin Englishman? Or was it something else you found offensive? Was it his questionable parentage that you found offensive? Do you find Austin Powers offensive? Have you seen any of the movies? If you have seen the movies what did you find offensive about them? Did you find them offensive because they insulted your intelligence? Or did you find them offensive because you didn't understand them? Was it the occaisional use of a Scottish accent you found offensive? Do you find yourself offensive? Or do you see yourself as a pointless human being much the same as the rest of us?
            Fat B*st*rd was a Scottish caricature-I thought he was the most underdeveloped character in Mike Meyers' cast of characters. I wasn't a big Austin Powers fan-but if the character was supposed to be Scottish, Mike Meyers could have done more research on Scottishisms and Scottish culture and maybe hung out with Some Scotspeople to help him prepare for the role.
            They could have given the character more Scottishisms to say besides "wee" and "headcase", to help authenicate the character, and some Scottish idioms and phrases. There more to developng a Scottish character than given him a Scottish accent.
            The time Meyers took to develop Austin Powers and Dr. Evil, he could have spent more time with F.B. - F.B. was treated like an after thought.
            Even Dr. Evil should have been developed more-he's supposed to be Belgian, Myers should have researched Belgianisms, and culture.
            There's more to authenicating a character of a certian ethnic persuasion than giving him an accent.
            He's kind of an ethnic caricature in the way Speedy Gonzales, Scrooge McDuck, or Boris and Natasha are.
            If I were Scottish I might have found the character offensive because he was underdeveloped.

Comment

I DID not find the Fat [email protected] character amusing in the slightest, but Myers portrayal of an eccentric Scottish father and his first-generation Scottish-American son in the film 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' was hilarious.

Harriet Michaels: Do you actually like haggis?
              Charlie Mackenzie: No, I think it's repellent in every way. In fact, I think most Scottish cuisine is based on a dare.
              Charlie Mackenzie: You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called F u c k You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by McDink
                I DID not find the Fat [email protected] character amusing in the slightest, but Myers portrayal of an eccentric Scottish father and his first-generation Scottish-American son in the film 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' was hilarious.
                Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X