"sleekit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "sleekit"

Hello. Is "sleekit" related to the Ir./Can. word "sleeveen", and can sleekit be used as a noun?

Sleekit is what you are doing when you keep posting questions to help you with your book.... which looks like it will never be written - hence it is sleekit to pretend you are doing something.

It means sly, underhand.

Comment

I have lived and travelled in Canada my entire life, and count Irish Canadians among my friends, and I have never before ever seen or heard the word "sleeveen".

Comment

Sheesh - that's OBVIOUSLY because you are a Canadian with SCOTS ancestry and that strange word is a Canadian/IRISH word - or so our Oracle says...

Personally, I thought it was one of those weird aliens in the latest Dr Who series on BBC!

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
          Personally, I thought it was one of those weird aliens in the latest Dr Who series on BBC!
          Don't be daft. The Sleeveens were from Dr Who around the time that Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker were the Time Lord

As for Mavericker, I'm surprised anyone gives him the time of day let alone tell him what he wants to know!

Comment

Were they? I never knew that.... I thought they were 'new'...

As for the OP - we treat his questions with the contempt he shows for some of our answers....
            (Just in case any 'newbies' feel that we are being nasty without cause!)

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
              Sheesh - that's OBVIOUSLY because you are a Canadian with SCOTS ancestry and that strange word is a Canadian/IRISH word - or so our Oracle says...

Of course - how could I have been so stupid! It's obviously one of those words that the Irish Canadians only speak when they are in their own company.

Actually I was curious so I did a search - it turns out (in addition to aliens) it is the name of a Band from Newfoundland. From their website - here is their definition:
              Sleeveen is an Irish/Gaelic word that refers to a sly person. In Newfoundland it has been used to refer to a joking, partying, devious, wild individual. We’ll leave it up to you to decide why we actually picked that name, after you’ve raised a few pints to our music.
              I do prefer the Tom Baker "Dr. Who" to the new version. Although I admit I find it hard to watch either!

Comment

David Tennant is a great Dr Who, though. And not just cos he's Scots!

Comment

I only wish they'd let him speak with his proper accent.
                  'all our plans were made on streets the winter paved, as streetlamp lucozade orange fell...'

Comment

Yes, me too!

Comment

Working...
                    X