Trainspotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainspotting

The book and film. How do they compare, I Y O? How believable are they? How good are they? How well do they depict Edinburgh and it's character?
    Any other thoughts about this, one of, if not the most loved British film(s) of all time

Discuss in depth

Book was much better than the film - I didn't even bother to watch the film all the way through!
    It does accurately, in my view, depict a certain 'view' of Edinburgh

Comment

The only thing I had trouble with is would Edinburgh heroin addicts really be that charismatic, eloquant and good looking? Seemed kind of far fetched, but I could be wrong.....

Comment

Well, I know a couple.....

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
          Well, I know a couple.....
          Tell me more

Comment

Which book tho? The compendium of the original short pieces from the magazine or the edited to be more coherent version that accompanied the film?

As far as it goes, the original book was quite an experience to read & the film could never match that IMO.

As for how true they are, as someone who knew Edinburgh very well at the time it was set, yes it made the hair on my neck stand-up a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by english-curious
              one of, if not the most loved British film(s) of all time
              I doubt that.

In 10 years time it will be as forgotten as the author of the book is today.
              Meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
                I doubt that.

I beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by english-curious
                  I beg to differ.
                  Differ that the author is forgotten, or that the film will be, or both?
                  Meow!

Comment

I doubt that.

Irvine Welsh is anything but forgotten. Although it is quite possible that he appeals to a less bookish audience compared to other authors.

I've worked with him several times in the last few years & he has consistantly brought-in some of the biggest audiences at any of the literarry events we stage.

Comment

Originally posted by pogofish
                      I've worked with him several times in the last few years & he has consistantly brought-in some of the biggest audiences at any of the literarry events we stage.
                      You should have tried to get sponsors from manufacturers of mouthwash, or ear-plugs.
                      Meow!

Comment

After the time we got Mars to sponsor some lectures on energy, I think that might be a bad idea.

It took a very long time to dispose of the 4-figure quantity of free Mars Bars that they sent us & I never want to see one again. Burrp!

Comment

Differ that the author is forgotten, or that the film will be, or both?
                          Both

Comment

Working...
                          X