Christopher Brookmyre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christopher Brookmyre

If U Havent already done so, Please Read this mans work! It is highly topical and very meaty!
    I myself have 2 be in the mood 4 a book but i have really enjoyed his books
    Any more Info Please Post below!

"What he said"

Seriously I can't recommend this mans work enough. I've spouted off about Brookmyre before on these pages. He's just totally amazing. All bar one of his books are set in Scotland and by reading them you'll get a truer picture of the land than compared to most books. On top of all that they're pant-wettingly funny! He's pretty much the only author that get me giggling and laughing out loud. (Pretty embarassing when you're sitting on a bus full of pensioners and a'Peter-Sutcliffe' look-a-like is giggling maniacaly in the background! )

If you want to have a wee nosey into his work have a looksy here.

Maddog: I don't know if you know this, but when "A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away" came out the local rag up here in Aberdeen went into fits! It starts out in Aberdeen and Christopher has nothing but scorn for my city. The amusing thing is all the things he points out about the city are spot on! But that didn't stop 'disgruntled frae Westhills' writing in and demanding that the book be banned.

Mata ne, Karasu.
    "People said we were evil but they missed the point again. It was just high spirits."

Comment

Originally posted by Karasu
      "What he said"

Seriously I can't recommend this mans work enough. I've spouted off about Brookmyre before on these pages. He's just totally amazing. All bar one of his books are set in Scotland and by reading them you'll get a truer picture of the land than compared to most books. On top of all that they're pant-wettingly funny! He's pretty much the only author that get me giggling and laughing out loud. (Pretty embarassing when you're sitting on a bus full of pensioners and a'Peter-Sutcliffe' look-a-like is giggling maniacaly in the background! )

If you want to have a wee nosey into his work have a looksy here.

Maddog: I don't know if you know this, but when "A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away" came out the local rag up here in Aberdeen went into fits! It starts out in Aberdeen and Christopher has nothing but scorn for my city. The amusing thing is all the things he points out about the city are spot on! But that didn't stop 'disgruntled frae Westhills' writing in and demanding that the book be banned.

Mata ne, Karasu.

I have Only Read 3 Of His Books But was amazed
      I read
      Quite Ugly One Morning
      and
      Boiling a Frog
      and
      One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night
      I loved "Frog" It really hit the high notes with me!

Comment

i too am a big fan of this author...although i am only on my second book of his..it is called

not the end of the world

the other that i have read is
        one fine day in the middle of the night

i highly recommend this author based on my findings so far

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacka
          i too am a big fan of this author...although i am only on my second book of his..it is called

not the end of the world

the other that i have read is
          one fine day in the middle of the night

i highly recommend this author based on my findings so far

Chewie!
          U Really Should Read "Ugly" 1st then "Frog" These 2 Follow on from each other and have a lot of the same characters! I cannot rate this Guys work Enough!

Comment

Karasu, you said these books are humorous? I love good books that tell of a region while incorporating a love story or humorous story.

Thanks Willy! Will have to check at the library for his books.

Chewie??? I am afraid to ask where you got those warped images you use. Freaky!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chele
              Karasu, you said these books are humorous? I love good books that tell of a region while incorporating a love story or humorous story.
              Well, have you read any of them yet? If you haven't go here and read a short story from the man himself. It features Jack Parlabane: the main character form the first few books by Brookmyre.

You'll find out a lot about the psyche and humour of the regions he's describing as well as the descriptions of the area. I can read them and fully picture the roads, buildings or whatever he's describing from past memory. He's even up to date on certain developements for areas. Perfect example of this is at the start of A Big Boy Did and Ran Away when one of the characters is stuck in a traffic jam. He's moaning away because a tiny bridge across the River Don he'd never heard of had just been closed, hence the increased traffic.
              The Grandholm bridge across the Don had only been closed 2-3 months before the book was released thereby causing traffic jams in the Bridge of Don area. The man's spot on with his regional references.

I wouldn't just say they're humourous they're pant-wettingly hilarious. Well, to me anyway.

If you have a wee looksy at http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/books/author/brookmyre you'll see what the BBC say about him and in a related topic this is an article about him from the BBC.

Mata ne, Karasu

SIDENOTE: Crappy system wont let me hide the full address for the BBC's view on Brookmyre, hence the long rambling address. Damm 'puters!
              "People said we were evil but they missed the point again. It was just high spirits."

Comment

Originally posted by Chele

Thanks Willy! Will have to check at the library for his books.

Chewie??? I am afraid to ask where you got those warped images you use. Freaky!!!

Please do!
                The best part of the humor is that he takes U right into the story sucks u right in!
                Very enjoyable!

Comment

Bedlam and Alienware Competition

Hello Brookmyre fans, some of you may have heard, ‘Bedlam’ is now available in paperback and to celebrate, Brookmyre and Alienware are offering one winner the chance to level up their gaming experience with the Alienware X51. We’re also giving five runners up concept art from ‘Bedlam The Game’, signed by Christopher Brookmyre himself. Follow the link for details of how to enter this free and easy competition , good luck!

Please PM this poster for more info~kv
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kathyv; 29th January 2014, 23:02. Reason: removing links

Comment

Working...
                  X