Other gaelic languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    tha mi a Arizona, agus tha a Ghaidhlig a' bruidhinn an seo!

tha mi a Arizona, agus tha a Ghaidhlig a' bruidhinn an seo!

I live in Arizona in the states, and Spanish is the most commonly spoken language here, other than English. Our schools are not very good in the Language area however. I feel they don't realy promote true diversity, just the largest most powerful minorities. Everyone is encouraged to learn Spanish because it's "the only other language you will use". some schools have French and German classes, but these are small. The worst part is, you don't get to start learning a forign language until you are in highschool! Fortunatly, I was homeschooled and my Dad was able to get me in a few Greek classes when I was little, and he taught me some French and German. Recently I've been teaching my self Ghaidhlig and have a friend who is now learning with me, but I think our society realy undervalues language, and humanities for that matter. Public education here kinda stinks.

Now I shall tell you all a funny story, yesterday my history teacher was NOT in a good mood, and got mad at me and two of my girl-friends for singing Amazing Grace while working on a group project. He told us to be more quiet, so we started humming Scotland the Brave. Apparently we got too loud, (it's such a beautiful song) and he yelled at us and wrote us refferals, meaning we had to go get yelled at by the vice-principal. It was ash wednesday, so the hour before, we had burned paper in physics class and put the ashes on our foreheads, so we looked funny as we were going to be punished. When we got to the office, the vice-principal thought it was funny, and taught us the national anthem of Canada and the Netherlands. So anyway, one day I can say to my children "wear you kilt with pride! I once got sent to the principal for singing Scotland the Brave!"

by the way, If anyone here knows even some Ghaidhlig, and would like to help me learn, write to me in Ghaidhlig and I'll do my best writing back. My e-mail is: TwigettT@netscape.net

sorry this was so long...

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I have a pen pal in Italy......

I think that living in the USA we get ripped off with our education. When my pen pal was in school, she was able to learn French, Spanish, Latin, Queens English (which I know is different from American English!), American English and she obviously speaks Italian! I now wish that my parents had lived in a different country so that I could have had the colorful education my pen pal did!
    Although the states have there own advantages, I am sure I take most of them for granted and would want them if I had grown up somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Dead - nonsense

That's why I have studied French, Cree and Norwegian. Still have a few to go - I'd like to learn Gaelic, Japanese and Jamtska (it's a Swedish dialect).

NOT all "dead" I know but English only isn't my way.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Latin as a dead language.

I agree with you all, we should preserve all the dying languages. For example, I want to learn Gaelic and Latin. Every time I have looked into getting classes, I am told that the languages are dead. But I would like to know a language that not everyone knows. There is no fun in sameness, only in variety and diversity.
    It seems that we let a lot of things just dissappear, I hope we don't let our languages all disappear to.
    Can you imagine living in a world where only English was spoken? Scary, isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Celtic and rare languages

Hi there
    I think we should try and preserve languages that aren't so commonly spoken: my experience is that here in France, a few people keep learning them, so as to share the literature and culture and inheritage with others. My mother who is a librarian learned irish and welsh and she has a degree in breton. I intend to get in touch with them as well.
    I have the feeling that during the past 10 years people's interest in celtic languages has increased, maybe in reaction against globalization that tends to erase more 'local' languages. But it seems to have been caused by individuals efforts, not especially thanks to those possibly positive conditions that Neil mentioned. Is that what you witnessed, Neil ?
    Mig

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just as with biodiversity, I think linguistic diversity is good for the health of the planet. We are all that little bit poorer whenever a language dies.

You cannot force people to use a particular language, but you can certainly force them not to. There has been far too much of that in the past. Just as it was possible to create conditions hostile to the perpetuation of a language it is equally possible to use legislation, funding, and other means to nurture and encourage "minority" languages.

Leave a comment:

• Hirta
    started a topic Other gaelic languages

Other gaelic languages

It's good to see many people joining the debate on whether gaelic is worth preserving in a modern world. Should all other celtic languages also be preserved?
    Any views would be appreciated.

(I'm thinking:

Gaelic (Scots, Irish and Manx)
    Welsh
    Breton
    Cornish)
Working...
X