IRISH, GAELIC - THE SAME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRISH, GAELIC - THE SAME?

I am just starting to learn the language from on-line sources. I started with the "Learning Our Language" series and then found a very comprehensive series by "The Irish People" called "Learn Irish". One thing I've noticed is that the Irish uses Ta, and the other uses Tha. Also some wording is different. For example- Ta me go maith, tha gu math. Do these mean the same thing? Is this just a basic difference? If anyone has some insight on this let me know. I want to make sure I'm learning Gaelic the best way possible. Thanks CBELL-USA

As with any language, the only real way to become decent at it is to totally immerse yourself in it. Of course this means that you would have to go to the country and especially to a location that the language was primarily spoken in. this is the problem with all forms of Gaelic..it is not spoken enough anywhere in order to get a fluency level and very few people teach the language. Irish is not hte same language as Scots...there are Gaelic languages for both countries, but the other native languages are a mix of Gaelic and others. Irish Gaelic is vastly different from Scots Gaelic and then of course there are the extinct languages...Cornish, Manx, Welsh....I understand your predicament for I am in the same boat myself
    The energy that is me will never be lost--"per mere per terras" (Clan MacDonald motto)-Iaine Sinjun MacDonald

Comment

Seo fhreagairtean

Gàidhlig - Tha gu math
      Gaeilge - Ta me go maith

Thae baith mean 'I'm fine'. In Gàidhlig ye could also say 'Tha mi gu math' though 'Tha gu math' is mair common.

Comment

Welsh is very far from being an extinct language

Comment

Working...
        X