Meoble??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meoble??

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce the name of the village Meoble?

Meoble

I've never heard of a village called Meoble.Perhaps you mean Maybole (pronounced Maybowl)in Ayrshire.If there is a place called Meoble then I should imagine that it would probably be pronounced Meebil.

Comment

Hmmm...I think it's a real place, somewhere near Morar?
      Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comment

Good grief, it IS a real place! I'm sorry, TanyaB - it's just that one sees quite a lot of misspellings of Scottish names, and I assumed that it was a muddled name (but lacked the good manners to post with suggestions even.) But when you said it was near Morar, I thought of 'phoning someone I know, so first went to check the atlas. So it is real and just a tiny bit south of Loch Morar, and it seem that Charles Edward Stuart used to wande about thereBUT I had got myself mixed up with the Moray area, so my grand plan to 'phone a friend is of no use.

Long answer and no help then! But I agree with ANDY-J that "meebil" is the likely pronunciation.

Comment

I live in the Highlands and my house name is Meoble. It is pronounced meebul and that is definitive!

Meoble, the place, is an estate next to Loch Morar. Enter "meoble" into google and you will get various links apertaining to place.

Comment

Meoble's real name is

Miath Poll

A hole or muddy place with rich soil.

Lik jist aboot every toon in Scotland, it's English equivalent means bugger aw.

Comment

Working...
            X