Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Learning Gaelic

I tried the British Council for books and courses on Gaelic - I could just as well have asked for the next bus to the moon...

But after all they had a quite cool dictionary by Angus Watson, explaining grammar, phrase-forming and a lot more.
    It is quite expensive, though, 20 pounds is a lot of money to me. It's a pity I have to give this book back to them, especially because I was the only one in years to take it from the shelf. I hope they will sell it for a few Euros some day if nobody else comes to read it.

Amazon.com offers a vast collection of courses, dictionaries and even wee books (fairytales, proverbs etc.).
    So I will have to work a lot of hours extra... ;=)

But at least I have a faint hope to enable myself to understand (after 10 or 20 years of learning ;=)) the words of Ishbel MacAskill's songs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does anyone know a website a person can go to learn Gaelic?
    can't find one at the mo'

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i want to learn how to speak gaelic

i want to speak the language but i've been away to long and forgot how to speak i left scotland when i was five and could speak gaelic. but know i can't help me someone.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ciamar a tha sibh?

Hi there!

Gaelic is pretty hard to learn, but it think it's a fascinating language with all that crazy pronounciations...

I have started learning it with a book/tape- course, as it is pretty impossible to find any galic courses here in Germany...

I am now looking for someone who will email to me in English and an bit gaelic - and later perhaps more gaelic and less english? If you're interested, then mail to katharina@vondewitz.net

Katharina

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Hallo!

Ciamar a tha sibh? Tha mi ag ionnsachaidh Ghàidhlig agus a'phiob mhor. Tha mi a'dol gu Fettes College, anns an Dun Eidean.

Does anyone know what the piping terms Bàrluath, Crunluath, Taorluath, Leumluath, Siubhal, and Urlar mean? (luath=quick)
    Cheers.
    PS Aleric your thing's in Irish.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    translation

Would anyone mind posting a close translastion to:
    Codladh samh agat anocht muirneach. Slainte lat.
    Banrigh na ainglean
    It is used by a friend of mine as a sign-off and I have no idea what it means.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Thanatos, my Irish teacher would have chopped your head off if he'd heard you say that the way you did. He would have said "Say Níl aon gardaí ann or anseo".

Here's a Gaelic dictionary online, there are others but I can't seem to find them anymore. There's also another one for Gaeilge but I'm too lazy to find it, I just happen to have the Gáidhlig one open right now. http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/index.html

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied

Manadh an ceilte fir is sgriobte in an guille an buirdai an bhas?

And in english, that would be.....?

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I've got that one---you used to be able to get it from B&N.

And you're, right, that one was Irish. I learned a bit of both----I can read them ok, if it's basic, but don't ask me to spell.

Any one seen this one?
    Manadh an ceilte fir is sgriobte in an guille an buirdai an bhas? I'm not sure if that's the right spelling---it's been awhile. But that was originally Gaelic.
    There really doesn't seem to be much difference between Irish and Scots Gaelic---just the Scots are a lot wordier.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I have a great book for you!!

Hi Candy,

well, you want to learn gealic..
    I can recommend you a book called "Gaelic: A complete course for Beginners (Teach Yourself/Book and 2 Cassettes)
    Of course, it´s almost a little bit expensive, but it´s great!! You can get it at amazon.com

bye, Schlomu

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I'm not sure(Chan eil mi cinnteach) that that is Gàidhlig that you wrote Thanatos. It could be Irish, doesn't look very familiar. Ach, Chan e expert a th' annam!

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    All right Celyn, I guess we all learned that one.
    You must have something left from those gaelic lessons that you can add to our list here.
    Glad your back with us anyway.

Thanks Thanatos for the input. I'll add that one to my list of phrases. You never know.
    O K Ma-tha

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    The first useful phase I learned was "Ta se nil gardai ansin"---'There are no police men here.' LOL, I know, not that useful, but more useful than "The American teacher would like a glass of orange juice." Or even "Would you like a potato?" Both of are really useless phases, unless you are a waiter---one thing I wouldn't plan to do while in Scotland. And no, I would not like a potato.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I'm glad I popped in and read this! I used to have Gaelic lessons (all now sadly forgotten) and the teacher was always saying "OK, ma-tha" in the sense of "Ok then, tea-break, or OK, then, let's move on" so it was clear what sort of meaning it had, but she would NOT explain it, and I'd always prefer to know how the words look when written down. So, something I have learned today!

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Re: Gàidhlig

I'm sure that was it skye. A speaker in Tarbert told me Al reet ma-tha was often used for goodby, from the english "all right". that would be the same as OK Ma tha.
    Or as Jim Carry would say, "all righty then."
    I'd love to try that school in Skye, but I'm in California, and that's a mean commute.
    Someday, maybe.
    Slante

Leave a comment:

Working...
X