learning how to speak gaelic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning how to speak gaelic

hello everbody! well..i've been trying to find out how u can start to learn gaelic. i've been trying to learn it for a while..so if anyone who knows gaelic and wants to teach me please tell me!!

Your asking a lot Candi.
    Try for Specific words or phrases.Maybe someone who knows will answer you. I know a bit, but I can't teach you Gaelic, just the bits I know.
    Slante
    ]

Comment

This should be a list of Gaelic learning materials online. I'm sure it even mentions a dictionary. I think I should try it myself - a good project for the winter.

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/beurla/Gaelic_lessons.html

And a "language links" site. Some of the links relate to music etc., but there are several that look good.

http://languages-on-the-web.com/links/link-gaelic.htm

Comment

Gob

Isn't it just Welsh without all the GOB

Love the NZman

Comment

Fàilte,

Yes, Gàidhlig is definitely “different”! I have been dabbling in the language for about 2 years. While I am nowhere near conversant, I am beginning to develop a familiarity with it, to the point that I can read it and not make too many pronunciation mistakes, and can even recognise a few words. There's hope for me yet!

I suggest that you either find a Gàidhlig class (not too easy to do, at least in the US), or get a course on tape. The language has quite a few sounds that have no English equivalent. Trying to sound out words according to the transliteration in a book could get you into some bad pronunciation habits.

There are some language links at my website, which you may find helpful. Go here:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~fuaimshona/index.html

Choose Frames or No Frames, then click on Resources.

Hope this helps.

Mise le meas,

Màiri

Comment

Mairi;
            Mise le meas looks like a useful phrase. What is it in English? I'll then know more Gaelic than I do now.
            Seanair

Comment

Hallo, Seanair,

"Mise le meas" is a typical letter closing, akin to "yours truly". It means, literally, "myself with respect", and is pronounced "MEE-shuh luh mess".

Best of luck with the Gàidhlig!

Le dùrachdan,
              (with good wishes)

Màiri

Comment

Whey Mairi:
                De na ne ach e?, which, I am told means, How's it going?
                Thanks for the Mise le meas definition and pronounciation. I remember a book title "Mise Eire" which I guess was "my Ireland". Some of the Gaelic travels through the celtic lands.
                Le Durachdan
                Seanair
                PS if thats a gaelic Mary, that's my sister's name.

Comment

Lah a mah. (Hello). Ciamar a tha thu? Thagu math, tagadh leat.

That's hello, how are you, I'm fine, thank you. That's the extent of my gaelic. I'm learning. There's a cool site at geo cities that has audio, so I can actually hear how it is supposed to sound, which helps alot.

It's actually pronouced like this:

laa a maa
                  kee-a-mar a ha hu
                  ha gu ma, topagrr lot

The key to learning any foreign language is to learn the alphabet first. I think with this language it's hard. I have a friend that has learned, and when she went to Scotland, she said the people who spoke gaelic spoke so fast she couldn't understand them.

Comment

Brandy:
                    I have from a gaelic speaker in Tarbert, "thank you" as...tapadh leat, pronounced tapa lat, with a formal version pronounced, tapa leeve.
                    I have "good"..math,,mhath as "va" with all mh's and bh's with a v sound. Some reading in books with gaelic words seem to bear this out.
                    How is your source? It's these things that make gaelic tough.
                    Slainte mhath
                    slanja va (to your) good health.
                    Seanair

Comment

Gàidhlig

Gaelic can be quite hard to grasp at first, there are many differeant sounds. In english there isn't the 2 versions of "you" that there is in Gaelic.

Thank you - Tapadh Leibh to somebody older or who you don't know. Tapadh Leat is less formal.

Also, there are masculine and feminine nouns in Gaelic which cause any adjectives to change their sound and spelling. EG.

Latha Math - Good day, Latha is "day" and is Masculine

Oichdhe Mhath - Good Night, Oichdhe is "night" and feminine. Feminine nouns cause aspiration, basically adding an H after the first letter of the word.

Comment

Re: Gàidhlig

Sgitheanach, thanks for your input.
                        I didn't have the spelling for "leibh" in my last post.
                        I had the two spellings for "math" but didn't know why, and you reminded me I was told about the aspiration.
                        A little at a time and maybe I'll get someplace.
                        How do you pronounce that impressive name, and if it's not prying, what does it mean?
                        Seanair

Comment

It just means person from the Isle of Skye (An t-Eilean Sgitheanach) Skeeanach.

The other thing about Gàidhlig is that there are no words really for yes and no. If some somebody says to you "Are you cold?" in english you would say yes, In Gàidhlig you would say "I am"

EG. A bheil thu fuar? (are you cold)
                          Tha (Yes)
                          THa mi fuar ( I am cold)

Tha = present tense
                          Bha = past tense
                          Bidh = future tense

A very simple way of looking at it i know but that's just one of the differences.

Also, you use the verb to respond to a question instead of yes or no.

EG. An do bhruidhinn thu? (did you speak?)

Bhruidhinn = yes (literally "speak")
                          Cha do Bhruidhinn = No (Literally "No speak")

Le dùrachd

Comment

I guess I should have seen Skye in there.
                            I got as far as the dock at Uig, on the ferry from Lochmaddy to Tarbert.
                            I had heard a gaelic speaker in Lochboisdale finish her telephone conversations with what sounded like "ma har". When I asked her what it meant, she took a long minute before answering.... "yes" . Obviously, it wasn't as simple as that.
                            This is good stuff, tapadh leat.
                            Le durachd, Seanair

Comment

Gàidhlig

'S docha gun d'thuirt ise "Ma-tha". Tha e a' ciallachadh "then" anns a' bheurla.

Maybe she said "ma-tha". It means "then" in English.

A lot of gaelic speakers say " OK ma-tha" - Ok then- at the end of a conversation. But it can also mean "if" in a way.

EG. Ma tha ùidh agad anns a' Ghàidhlig..."

If you have an interest in Gaelic...

I suggest you attend a short course at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig on Skye, they're very useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X