The Patter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I shudder to think what "being Anglicised" entails. I hope that doesn't mean dubbing!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, Argyll, and welcome
    I've heard so much about that show and am dying to see it...dunno if it will make it overseas without being anglicised..seemingly they've altered it for English viewing and it has brought 6 shows down to 3!

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Originally posted by bobbybingo:
    Hi Sonsie, one good source of Gallus Glasgae banter is the BBC Scotland comedy TV show "Chewin the fat", the most famous phrase being "Goanae no dae that!!".
    bob.
    I saw that show when I was home at Christmas time. I loved the lustful old Granny talking about her cinematic James Dean experience. It certainly is good for dialect. The same people do the sketches for Radio Scotland's 'On the Ball' programme on Saturdays, which you can get on the BBC Scotland web-site live.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Hi Sonsie, hahahahaha. I like that phrase i've been in a few lavvies with steamed up windows, and am probably responsible for some of them.
    bob.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm not familiar with Embra patter bob, maybe you could start another topic? Love to hear more.

Saw another phrase I'd never heard before...

"as steamed up as a lavvy windae".

[This message has been edited by sonsie (edited 11 August 2000).]

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Fit like Sonsie, foo ye daen? Ahm nae bad the noo, ken. I was watching the Acid House on TV a couple of nights ago and it has some great Edinburgh phrases on it. Total radge likesay!!!
    bob.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hiya bob!

Not bad. Yersel?

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Hi Sonsie, cheers by the way. How you doin, hen?
    bob.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nae borra bob.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Hi Sonsie, cheers for keeping me right! I guess I should have joined earlier!!!
    bob.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hiya Bob,

Shortly before you arrived on the S.com scene, there was the beginnings of a "Chewin' The Fat" topic. For your reading-and-posting pleasure:

http://www.scotland.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000725.html

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Hi Sonsie, one good source of Gallus Glasgae banter is the BBC Scotland comedy TV show "Chewin the fat", the most famous phrase being "Goanae no dae that!!".
    bob.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was on that list too jarmine. Too many notes! Do you have the URL, in case people want to check it out for themselves?

Another of my favourite phrases:

"He wouldny gie a blind sparra a worm."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The site isn't very busy but the e-group used to be. I was a member of it but had to pull out cos there was just too much stuff to read! I was reading it off the page and not getting the e-mails (thank Goodnes!)

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    Ha ha ha, Jarmine. I know. I put that link down before I really investigated the site. Not very busy, is it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X