The Patter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Patter

The following thread is a public service for those who are deprived of a copy of "The Complete Patter" by Michael Munro. For the unfamiliar, Michael Munro has published three editions of a wonderful dictionary of Glasgow speech.

However, why read a book when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth? Alright Glaswegians... any favourite phrases, words, or rhyming slang?

"Up Suckie, doon Buckie, an alang Argyle"

"never died a winter yet"

For T-Bird: "See YOU Jimmy!"

[This message has been edited by sonsie (edited 30 July 2000).]

Sonsie, one for your files, if it's not already there! http://www.patter.co.uk/
    "When I hear nonsense talked, it makes me physically ill not to contradict."
    ---Margot Asquith

Comment

LOL, Alexis..ah went there and had a look at the jokes only to see the one you posted!!!

Comment

Ha ha ha, Jarmine. I know. I put that link down before I really investigated the site. Not very busy, is it?
        "When I hear nonsense talked, it makes me physically ill not to contradict."
        ---Margot Asquith

Comment

The site isn't very busy but the e-group used to be. I was a member of it but had to pull out cos there was just too much stuff to read! I was reading it off the page and not getting the e-mails (thank Goodnes!)

Comment

I was on that list too jarmine. Too many notes! Do you have the URL, in case people want to check it out for themselves?

Another of my favourite phrases:

"He wouldny gie a blind sparra a worm."

Comment

Hi Sonsie, one good source of Gallus Glasgae banter is the BBC Scotland comedy TV show "Chewin the fat", the most famous phrase being "Goanae no dae that!!".
              bob.

Comment

Hiya Bob,

Shortly before you arrived on the S.com scene, there was the beginnings of a "Chewin' The Fat" topic. For your reading-and-posting pleasure:

http://www.scotland.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000725.html

Comment

Hi Sonsie, cheers for keeping me right! I guess I should have joined earlier!!!
                  bob.

Comment

Nae borra bob.

Comment

Hi Sonsie, cheers by the way. How you doin, hen?
                      bob.

Comment

Hiya bob!

Not bad. Yersel?

Comment

Fit like Sonsie, foo ye daen? Ahm nae bad the noo, ken. I was watching the Acid House on TV a couple of nights ago and it has some great Edinburgh phrases on it. Total radge likesay!!!
                          bob.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Embra patter bob, maybe you could start another topic? Love to hear more.

Saw another phrase I'd never heard before...

"as steamed up as a lavvy windae".

[This message has been edited by sonsie (edited 11 August 2000).]

Comment

Hi Sonsie, hahahahaha. I like that phrase i've been in a few lavvies with steamed up windows, and am probably responsible for some of them.
                              bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X