Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Scottish Gaelic

Hi Everyone!

For those of us of Scottish decent who wish to learn the language of our ancestors, I found something that might help. There is a store in New Hampshire that sells a product called "Learning Scottish Gaelic in three Months". It has books and tapes. It's just basic conversational Gaelic. You can visit them on the net at
    www.scottishlion.com

If you have a problem you can e-mail me at
    michele.grayhickinbotham@scotland.com

Best of Luck
    Michele
    celticprincess

Hi Michele, a great idea. My grandmother spoke Gaelic and I learned basic Gaelic at university, so anything which helps and promotes this beautiful language is fantastic- it sounds so much better than English.
    bob.

Comment

Hi Bob!

I have just started listening to the tapes. And it is a beautiful language. I am not very good at languages but I will give it my best effort. I hope that the language does not get lost. It's a very important part of the heritage of all of those of Scottish decent.

Michele
      celticprincess

Comment

Hi Michele I hope you are getting on well with the tapes. When I was learning the language I did not find it too hard to pick up certain words and phrases, but the problems came when trying to have a conversation with a native speaker-they speak too fast, or that was what I thought!!! Gaelic is starting to become more popular again in Scotland and hopefully this will continue. I have opened a new topic about Northern Ireland in the politics forum if you are interested in excanging opinions.
        good luck with the Gaelic, Feasgair math
        bob.

Comment

Bob,

I had the same problem when I was learning French. Getting around native speakers, and it is nothing like what you have learned. I guess they do to there language what we in the states do to English. I haven't gotten to the poltical board yet but I will. Northern Ireland is one of my favorite topics.

Michele
          celticprincess

Comment

Hi Michele, I hope the Gaelic is coming along well. Native speakers of a language, as you pointed out, tend to "colloqualize"(I don't know if this is a real word)-but they tend to not speak the formal form of their language all the time, and learners are often taught the formal language. It is difficult, but not impossible to conquer.
            I had noticed that Northern Ireland was one of your favourite topics, and it is good to hear your views on the situation, along with anyone else who wants to join in.
            bob.

Comment

Hi yorl

If Northern Irleand is your favourite topic you will of course be aware that the Scots came to what is now Scotland from Northern Irleand. Some of them returned to Northern Ireland a few hundred years ago and their descendants are what are now known as Unionists.

The Scots who settled in Alba brought their beautiful Gaelic language with them and chased the British (Welsh) out of the lowlands, and then took over the Picts in the North. Just thort y'orl be interested.

Comment

Greetings to ye all,

I'm not from Scotland, and even not from Great Britain, but I'm very interested in speaking Gaelic. You see, I'm from 'de Achterhoek'(in Holland) and were in many ways the same as ye Scots. But here I can't find anything that will help me speak Gaelic. So perhaps ye can help. Send me an E-mail at: bjorn.gosselink@Scotland.com

Comment

There is a book called "Teach Yourself Gaelic", and a few others and that's what I'm using. Get a catalogue from Barnes&Noble, that's what I did. That's were I got all three of my books on Gaelic, both the Irish Gaelic and the Scots.
                  Thanatos//
                  "..and therefor never send to know for whom the BELL tolls; it tolls for THEE."

Comment

Working...
                  X