Come join a facebook group for a Standard Scots Spelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come join a facebook group for a Standard Scots Spelling

I have made a standard spelling for the Scots language which draws from Older Scots texts but with a few innovations to fully represent spoken Scots. I am currently writing a dictionary for it! you can see it on this page and feel free to join if you want.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/350448385140213/

in the description on the left is a link which takes you to a guide explaining this orthography

We had a great Lallans/doric/Auld Scots dictionary on the late Firstfoot site many years ago.

Comment

Bits of the old site are still online
      Scottish Vernacular Dictionary

Comment

ive always kind of struggled to read scots.

i speak versions of it obviously but english reading an writing being drummed into me since i was a nipper makes it hard to read.

ive read quite a few books with various scots dialects and usually get the hang of it after a while though but trying to read
        Weilkum ty y "Staunyrt Skts Skreivyn" Faisbuiks steid! Heir wul skreiv yn y skreivyn a makyt fur y Skts Leid. Al speir ȝeis pyt au ȝer ynpyts ȝaisyn y Staunyrt Skts Skreivyn (SSS) quhyn ȝaisyn Skts. byt ony lairnyrs, gyn e mun, kyn aȝ speir yn Yngyls. Fur ty lairn SSS hai ȝersel a keik yt ys gait:
        has me totally flummoxed

i understand what your trying to do right enough but ive no clue what half of that is saying.

Comment

In the name o' the wee man.

Comment

Wow it's in Elvish!!!

What's a "steid" when it's at home??

Comment

looks like finish to me....or hyrographics or summit

google says its spanish

i think its lsd tbh

Comment

Ah, that would make sense . . .

Oh sorry . . . Thit wud mk sns.

Comment

Im fur the idea o an artificial wrate form bein createt and fordert and ettle tae yaise ain massel gin a skreive in the leid, but I dinnae think owerfocusin on the Norse elements is the richt wye tae gang, een though yes hiv done a rare job and deserve credit fir it. The ch in "richt" shuild in my view be the stairtin pynt fur aw skreivin in Scots as een though monie fowk dinnae say it the day, its a sound thits tradeitional and thur are monie sounds in staundart Inglis thit bodies dinnae mak whin they spik wae anither tae. Ach stiall ort and keep up the braw work.
                  Last edited by smaoin; 6th June 2015, 11:55.

Comment

language only works if the other person understands what your saying.

making up your own words will get no one anywhere.

towers of babel.

Comment

What words have been made up and by whom?

Comment

All words are made up.

Comment

Made up words aren't a problem then.

Comment

Originally posted by smaoin View Post
                            What words have been made up and by whom?
                            Originally posted by TreehuggerLad View Post
                            I have made a standard spelling for the Scots language which draws from Older Scots texts but with a few innovations to fully represent spoken Scots. I am currently writing a dictionary for it!
                            leez wurds oar iz ait gist li spelink lats bin oltered?

same difference.

Comment

Hes making his innovations public for people to be aware of and basing them on older written texts along with how people pronounce words today. Thats hardly just making up words.

Comment

Working...
                              X