Clear All

• Scots words explained

all ye need tae ken

50 Weird Scottish Words

that should have come with a warning mate

Comment

lol

the tuachter map is wrong tho id say.

tuachter = coming from outwith the boundary of night buses in Glasgow or Edinburgh

Comment

Originally posted by tig View Post

the tuachter map is wrong tho id say.

tuachter = coming from outwith the boundary of night buses in Glasgow or Edinburgh
        country bumpkins ?

Comment

Some gey unusual spelling of simple Scots words... 'Blutered' instead of blootered, drewth instead of drouth

Comment

Originally posted by tig View Post
            all ye need tae ken

50 Weird Scottish Words
            The words I can handle, but some of those pictures....
            Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Valmai View Post
              The words I can handle, but some of those pictures....
              True

Comment

There's a lot of words for "idiot" I see.

Comment

Nan robh e cànan an-eisimeileach, bhithinnsa na bu thoillichte gu bheil an t-ainm aige (a Bheurla Ghallda) an fhacal airson an duthaich cuideachd. S e diofar ann eadar Gàidhlig is Albannach ged a tha dàimh ann eatorra agus cha chanainnsa nach rachainn leis an smuain gur e breug eachdraidheil a tha ann gur e “Scots” an t-ainm aig a Bheurla Ghallda. Ghoid na luchd-labhairt an t-ainm bhon Gàidhlig.

Gin it wis an unthirlt leid, Id be happier thit the name o it (Scots) wis sib tae the countrie (Scotland. Thurs a difference atween Gaelic and Scotland maugre the fact thit they hae a strang link and I wuildnae say thit Id no agree wae the idea that its an historical untruth that Scots" is the name o Lowland Inglis. The spikkers stole the name frae Gaelic.

Comment

I think there's a difference that isn't made clear by groups campaigning for the Scots language that many people speak Scottish English rather than Scots and that this is particularly so in the Central Belt. Scottish English is also a language variety indigenous to modern Scotland but it isn't really a separate language from Modern World English any more than Australian English is. Doric is probably the only really Scots language that comes from Middle English and is still spoken as a language in communities in Scotland today. Shetlandic and Orkney dialects were seen by their speakers as something different from Scots until last century but they are also nearer to what was a separate standardized language in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in Scotland than anything spoken in Cumbernauld or Livingston today.

Comment

Working...
                    X