Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Scottish Education Department went out of their way to eradicate Gaelic.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scottish Education Department went out of their way to eradicate Gaelic.

Here are some of the strategies used to help Gaelic disappear much quicker among children in our education system in Scotland since 1872. The child caught with either the sheeps or goats head or piece of wood and tied to of string or rope round the childs neck was belted before they left school and also the following morning. During the school day there was also the Dunces Cap made of paper in a conical shape with a large D on it, where the child was often put on a high chair in a corner for all to see,. Sometimes they had to sit for an hour or for a whole morning or afternoon. They could of course get off the high chair if they heard any other child speaking Gaelic. Can someone tell me who devised these strategies? Was is it the teachers themselves or was it the teacher training college or The Scottish Education Department in Edinburgh?

It was not uncommon around the British Empire for such education polices to be put in place in an attempt eradicate the native languages .
    Scotland is not alone in being a victim of this particular aspect of cultural genocide .
    I very much doubt that the initiative for this insidious empire wide campaign originated in Edinburgh .
    Westminster would be a more likely candidate.

Comment

Exactly, Anglo Scots played a role in the suppression of Gaelic and other indigenous languages.

Comment

Read my post again .
        Do some research on the issue .

Comment

I have done both thanks. I agree with you that Gaelic wasnt the only victim of Anglo Scottish imperialism.

Comment

If you had , you would know that the policy was imposed on the countries concerned , by 'Britain' , not by the native speakers themselves .

Comment

Britain in the imperial sense is as much an Anglo Scottish invention as a Westminster one. They were unionists werent they? It was Scots who took the lead in the suppression of Gaelic through the 1872 Education Act and not London politicians. We shouldnt shift the blame.

Comment

Ah , you have not done the research that you claim to have done have you ?

Try that one again .

Comment

Who drafted the 1872 Education Act? Education has remained separate in Scotland. We cant blame London for North British prejudice against Gaelic in Scottish education.

Comment

If you had , as you claimed , done the research , you would know that

The Education (Scotland) Act 1872 made education compulsory and took over the running of schools from the Church of Scotland. Burgh as well as parish schools now came under School Boards run by local committees. It was originally called the Scotch Education Department , was a committee of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom, and had its offices in London. In 1885 the department became a responsibility of the new ministerial post of Secretary for Scotland, under whom the Scottish Office was set up in Dover House, Whitehall, London.
                    You are attacking the wrong country .

Comment

The country is not mentionned in the headline, the department and its policies are. Scotland is part of the United Kingdom and Scottish education policy was left up to Scots to decide. Wasnt Gordon Brown Scottish when he governed from Downing Street?

Comment

Can anyone show me evidence that the Scottish Education Department did anything to encourage Gaelic being retained as a community language from 1872 onwards? It seems that they were determined to destroy it and replace it with English.

Comment

I wonder how Sgoinneil came up with the notion that it is a school's responsibility to teach a child it's first language , when all intelligent people know full well that teaching an infant to talk is one of the prime obligations of the parents/caregivers .

Comment

Originally posted by Sgoinneil View Post
                            It was Scots who took the lead in the suppression of Gaelic through the 1872 Education Act ....
                            Pleas provide case histories of instances of where the Scots using the 1872 Education Act , suppressed Gaelic .
                            Bear in mind that having a school syllabus in one language does not constitute the suppression of any other language .

Comment

Bear in mind that it does, particularly when it is an unknown language in the community who had no say in the drafting of the legislation to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X