Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Gaelic

Hi
    I was wondering whether someone can help me with a translation of the phrase 'watched over from above' into Scottish Gaelic. Thanks to anyone that can help.

context

redcat,

let us know the context. Is this for a gravestone? Is it for a male or female?

Comment

“Watched over from above” would be; “Toirt faire gu h-àrd”

If you intended the phrase to have religious connotations, i.e. memorial inscription,

then “Toirt faire a Glòir” may be more appropriate.

Regards,

Crofter.

Comment

Originally posted by Calum Mac Neill View Post
        redcat,

let us know the context. Is this for a gravestone? Is it for a male or female?
        Hi thanks for your response, it's not for a gravestone it is for a tatoo and is for a female. It doesn't particularly have religious meaning, not sure if this helps.

Comment

Re' Gaelic, nearly a million pounds of public money has been squandered on a converting an old church into a Gaelic college in the Hebrides for some Hebridean Trust. To date, not one student has passed through the doors, the joint's been vandalised, even the toilet seats have been stolen, and it lies open to the elements. Big cuts in the pipeline for every public facility, schools threatened with closure, maybe even bus pass concessions threatened, yet money thrown away on this nonsense! Absolutely damnable! wullie m

Comment

Wullie,
            You’re as skimpy with the facts as you would have people believe the authorities should be with “Public Money” I sense the “grubby paws” clawing away here.

Canna, a tiny island off the west coast of Skye. Population 20. So quiet that the policeman from the mainland only visits twice a year, and that is mainly to update gun licences.

£860,000 raised by an English heritage charity based in Oxford to convert a disused church into a youth hostel/Gaelic study centre, primarily to offer the youth of deprived areas of the south, like the slums of Glasgow, with a place where they could go to improve themselves, maybe for a week or two in the summer.

The money raised was not enough to complete the project. The National Trust for Scotland, who own the island, did not consider it safe, wind or water proof, so it could not be used for the purposes intended. They were not prepared to spend a penny on it.

The National Trust invited the Hebridean Trust, another charity, to raise the funds to complete the project, which is what they are now doing.

Public money my other end, they are too busy pumping that into the slums of Glasgow. The whole project was not meant for the benefit of the locals, or for Gaelic speakers, it was some sort of a youth project for outsiders that we tolerate in our midst in the hope that their lives might be enriched by it.

In the meantime it seems that the place has been vandalised, are you insinuating that the local population of 20 did it, or perhaps it was a Highland uprising? More than likely the responsibility lies with yobboes from your neck of the woods, who have run out of places to wreck in their own localities.

Public money indeed, we’re not good enough to have it spent on us, keep us down, charity cases, the undeserving Gaelic poor.

Comment

Have you the faintest idea of how difficult Canna is to get to, very few Glaswegians have ever set foot on the place, nae pub for a start! When I was there the population was 14,the wummin who did everything, from running the wee shop to hauling the cargo, was a good friend, decent people who I'm sure wouldn't dream of fingering an illicit lavvy pan never mind sit on one. The island is the haunt of fishing boats as it has the best harbour in the Small Isles, but unlike yourself (The self appointed distant Oracle, on matters Hebridean) wouldn't dream of casting aspersions. This was largely lottery money, I buy lottery tickets. All very well for yourself sitting back in Malibou or someplace with your Celtic fantasies, 16 cats and your Dwelly, and doubtless, a battery of windchimes, contributing nothing to the common good here. Some of us live in the real world. This might have seemed a good idea at the time, the church had gone to rack & ruin, but the cash could have been spent somewhere to better effect. wullie m
              Sooo easy, ye just scatter the bait, she cannae (or Canna) resist it!

Comment

Wullie,
                You seem to know a lot about the place and found your way there. Say no more.

The reader can choose which version of the story to believe.

Anyway I will have to move the yacht down the coast a bit towards Santa Monica. I hear the cuddies are biting better down there. Its all go and I don’t know what’s worse the midges or those damn cats.

There is a difference between scattering bait and spreading inaccurate, untrue bile. However, if that is your game, and members treat what you say as such, then by all means carry on. You have a warped idea of humour, if this is the best you can do for kicks.

I cannot recall contradicting, or even disputing, anything you tell people about yourself or Glasgow. Why do you find it so difficult to accept that a Hebridean might know a little bit about the Hebrides and endeavour to correct misconceptions?

I’m sure that your own contributions here are doing a great deal for the common good and that those who live out there in the real world are in your debt. Is this your subtle way of suggesting that the site be left to yourself and the Magnificent Seven.

If you and your ilk find the contributions of others on this forum so objectionable, why do you spend half your lives glued to it? Is the real world out there that drab? Can the common good be served in better ways?

Comment

I do quite a bit of sailing myself, not this year unfortunately, but know the Hebrides well, the hospitality on Canna was superb, and we hired the lassie's bothy on several occasions, she never saw us stuck, a star. The intention for the chapel was a scheme to include John Lorne Campbell's library, but the squandering of a million on an island of a couple of dozen souls was daft. It hasn't been a good week for you, you did yourself no favours getting involved with the amadan of the quiz. Do try to lighten it a bit, as for bile! "Bilin yer heid might be in order! wullie m

Comment

Working...
                  X