Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SherbrookeJacobite
    Bu aill leat?

I was just having a 'quick shifty' at the other topics on here. I see someone promoting an "OurScotland" website and we have some poster busy telling the world that people from Ayrshire are Anglo-Saxons sadly i do understand why he/she feels they have to go down this long and winding road. As i mentioned in another thread the origins of every town name in Ayrshire they almost all derive from Gaelic. But hardly anyone can understand a word of it. 'Some' Gaelic words are used everyday but most people will have no idea where the words originate. For example i know of a place where two burns meet which eventually runs into the river Ayr. It's called the "Dub" by locals and that's because it appears black - due to it being deep. There's quite a few examples like that but on the whole most people can't speak it.

Comment

well we all know that it is historically nonsense to demand a pure blood lines in countries where over centuries people came and went.

Don't let yourself bother with ignorant and narrowminded people! The only region where a longer presence of Gaels could be debated is the south eastern most corner of Scotland. All other regions had a longer settlement of Gaels in one or the other point in time.

The major and common mistake of folk is to assume that once a new tribe pushed others out the conquered or weaker tribe would simply vanish from earth. In most cases both cultures intermingled with the fading one leaving plenty of evidence of their existence behind.

In fact the Ayrshire was still mainly Gaidhlig speaking, like Glaschu, into the 15th century and even in the 17th century Ayrshire poets would complain about the loss of Gàidhlig.
      'S toil leam Gàidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrìobhadh oir 'se an cànan feumail agus àlainn a th' innte.

Comment

Working...
      X