Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please join!...I was asked to move it across here and was willing to oblige !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please join!...I was asked to move it across here and was willing to oblige !!

I noticed we have a lot of visitors right now. The more the merrier! Please come in and say hi!

Are you Scottish? American? other?

What do you like to do on the weekends?

Do you have family?

Hi HollyElise & everyone else here.
    I'm Scottish & live in the central belt of the Scottish Lowlands. I'm married with 2 kids and at the weekends i like to chill out with my family.
    Hope you're all doing well & enjoying your weekend wherever you are in the world.
    'S e an t-ionnsachadh g an t-ionnsachadh bidheach.

Comment

Failte cridheil ort! tha mi toilichte gad 'fhaicinn an-seo agus a'leughadh signature agad.

a warm welcome. I'm happy to see you here and to read your signature.
      'S toil leam Gidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrobhadh oir 'se an cnan feumail agus lainn a th' innte.

Comment

Ceud taing airson filt' a chuir orm Eleana agus feumaidh mi rdh gu bheil mi toilichte a bhi an-seo cuideachd A bheil Gidhlig agad-fhin ma-tha? Tha idh mhr mhr agam ann an Gidhlig. Ach gu mi-fhrtanach chan eil mi math oirre.

Thanks for the welcome it's good to be here.

Comment

I am in Ohio, and the fall colors are almost at their peak. There are many maple trees here and they are all bright oranges/yellows/and reds. I have a half peck of apples left from a local orchard that i will make into a pie or a crumble today.

How old are your children? Boys? Girls?

Comment

Is it possible to e-mail apple pie?
            I have both HollyElise - 7 & 8 years old. It's been dull & overcast here most of the day. Typical October day really.

Comment

Hi Am Blaigeard, welcome to the site !!

I do hope you will stay and join in with us in the forums !!

Not been a bad day here today but it is getting colder !!

Comment

Hahahaha.... i wish it were!

We need those transporters like they have on Star Trek. I'll send you apple pie and you can send me Thorntons chocolates.

I am not married or attached, nor have children. I was happily married for several years, but he had mental illness, unfortunately, and it ended 4 years ago. Now i am looking for someone, but i won't let most guys ask me out and i'm terribly shy when i find someone i do like. Hopefully i can change my habits. I used to be quite confident! But i am around kids a lot... sometimes i teach them knitting or art.

Besides the obvious (potatoes)... what kind of local food does Scotland grow? I feel quite spoiled here... there are many farms, orchards, and farmers markets that set up stands with fresh produce. This time of year we see a lot of pumpkins and squash, peppers, tomatoes, apples, pears, and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Am Blaigeard
                  Ceud taing airson filt' a chuir orm Eleana agus feumaidh mi rdh gu bheil mi toilichte a bhi an-seo cuideachd A bheil Gidhlig agad-fhin ma-tha? Tha idh mhr mhr agam ann an Gidhlig. Ach gu mi-fhrtanach chan eil mi math oirre.

Thanks for the welcome it's good to be here.
                  tapadh leat, Am Blaigeard (hmmm vocative case??? )
                  tha beagan Gidhlig agam, tha mi ag ionnsachachd Gaidhlig o chionn cig miosan deug . Tha daoine beagan ann a bheil Gidhlig aca. chan eil mi math oirre cuideachd ach tha mi a'feuchainn. Tha mi gl thoilichte gu bheil Gidhlig agad... 's toil leam a'bruidhunn riut.

well are we supposed to translate???
                  Last edited by Eleana; 24th October 2005, 01:51.
                  'S toil leam Gidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrobhadh oir 'se an cnan feumail agus lainn a th' innte.

Comment

Don't feel obligated to translate on my account; just enjoy yourselves. One day i hope to learn, but i have not had time to devote to it.

Comment

ah Holly, it's doable, believe me! Needs just a little commitment

Comment

Uill, tha mi a' smaoineachadh gu bheil thu a' danamh math dh-rireabh. Shaoileadh daoine gun robh thu 'g ionnsachadh Gidhlig airson ine mhir. Tha mi-fhin air a bhith ga h-ionnsachadh o chionn tri bliadhnachan agus a-nis 's fherr leam i na Beurla no Albais, Ma thogras tu faodaidh tu beagan a sgriobhadh thugam -sa' Ghidhlig bho m gu m. Co-dhi, sgriobhaidh mi rudeigin ann am Beurla a-nis...

HollyElise, The nearest i go to markets is supermarkets like Asda. Haha.
                        Raspberries & Strawberries used to be quite popular for growing especially in the Clyde valley, but i don't think there are as many growers as there used to be.Most of the root veg will be popular at this time of year as the long nights draw in & people start making the home-made soup to keep warm. As it's nearly Halloween turnips should be quite popular in Scotland, but all the shops seem full of Pumpkins instead.
                        Clicking the 'send' button on those chocs....

Comment

ah... tha mi mth air a'cleachdadh Gidhlig shimplidh... lol... tha mi n dchas gum bi mi a'fs nas fherr... s dcha. Tha mi aig www.savegaelic.com. A bheil fios agad fram sg? Tha mi a'coimhead airson caraid a' sgrobh sna Gaidhlig bhon m gu m...

Ah well, Halloween pumpkins overwhelming Scotland... pity. Lol... and I don't know what to do with it other than discard them after Halloween.

Comment

Actually, depending on the weather and your timing, you can still cook and eat a pumpkin after it's been a Jack'o'Lantern, and i've done it before. Usually nights are cool this time of year, so it is as if it were being refrigerated. It can be cut up and cooked and mashed for soup, on it's own with butter and salt and pepper, or with brown sugar, or blended with tatties, or made into pumpkin pie (usually americans spice their pumpkin pie but once i made it with maple syrup instead... yum!) or custard. The chunks can even be used in a stir-fry curry!

I love raspberries. Here in this part of Ohio, black raspberries easily grow in the wild, and sometimes i've seen HUGE thickets of them covering acres.

Comment

Hello from Griffith, Indiana. Home of... Well, absolutely nothing spectacular. I live close to Gary, Indiana where Michael Jackson was born. I prefer to tell people that I'm a stlnes throw from Chicago. Wifey works in Chicago. It takes her about 45 minutes to get to the center of the city from home. Right now the weather here is bleak and rainy. It got up to about 45 degrees today. About average for the end of October.

Anyway, my name is Christopher Kinkade and I found this site while trying to research my ancestry from Scotland. I am planning a trip to Dublin next march and I want to try to take a day or two and fly out to Scotland and perhaps find a church or home my ancestors once occupied. Perhaps even share a pint or three with some long lost relatives. The problem is I'm having a hard time tracing my lineage past my grandparents. My Grandfather has since passed on and my grandmother doesn't have all her senses. My father doesn't really know much. The last story he heard is our original surname was "Kade". In the Kades there was a son that was known to be a thief. He was then bannished from the family and was told never to use the name Kade ever again. He then beame a "kin" of the "Kade's" hense the name Kinkade. Another story I heard was our name originally came from Kincaid which seems much more believable. Whatever the case, I'd really love to learn more about where my family came from. My wife is 100% Dutch from Holland so she knows a lot about her ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                              X