independence
    freedom
    free spirit
    wonder
    celebration

itd be much appreciated

independence - saorsa
    freedom - saorsa
    free spirit - literally spiorad saorsa (but the expression wouldnt have much meaning in gaelic) meanmach probably better conveys the meaning of the phrase.
    wonder - iongantas
    celebration - moladh (this may not fit every context)

Comment

Originally posted by anSiarach
      independence - saorsa
      freedom - saorsa
      free spirit - literally spiorad saorsa (but the expression wouldnt have much meaning in gaelic) meanmach probably better conveys the meaning of the phrase.
      wonder - iongantas
      celebration - moladh (this may not fit every context)
      Hi there.

Actually, politically-speaking

independence = neo-eisimeileachd (saorsa is more general meaning "freedom")
      free spirit = Gaelic uses "crìdhe" in this context.

so if someone has a "free spirit" then I would be inclined to go for "crìdhe saor".

wonder as in "marvel" would be "mìorbhail"

Celebration - well, what kind of celebration? Any kind of informal celebration in Gaelic is a "cèilidh!" (If it involves visiting peoples houses!)

Comment

Originally posted by Steaphan
        Actually, politically-speaking independence = neo-eisimeileachd (saorsa is more general meaning "freedom")
        I think more officially/formally speaking than politically speaking. Saorsa being quite appropriate for the braveheart type context but as you say i would expect neo-eisimeileachd to be used by, say, the scottish executive in reference to something.
        free spirit = Gaelic uses "crìdhe" in this context.so if someone has a "free spirit" then I would be inclined to go for "crìdhe saor".
        *shrugs, it doesnt in my experience but its as good as my suggestion which doesnt tend to be used any more often.
        wonder as in "marvel" would be "mìorbhail"
        Hmmm - it depends how the word is to be used. If you were describing how you personally were feeling then iongantas would be more suitable but if you were simply describing something as a wonder - the wall of china say - then Mìorbhail would be the word.
        Celebration - well, what kind of celebration? Any kind of informal celebration in Gaelic is a "cèilidh!" (If it involves visiting peoples houses!)
        Again it depends how you mean celebration. If you meant as in to celebrate/praise someone or something then moladh is the word. If you mean an event in itself then as you say cèilidh would be the most general word suitable for most purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by anSiarach
          I think more officially/formally speaking than politically speaking. Saorsa being quite appropriate for the braveheart type context but as you say i would expect neo-eisimeileachd to be used by, say, the scottish executive in reference to something.

*shrugs, it doesnt in my experience but its as good as my suggestion which doesnt tend to be used any more often.

Hmmm - it depends how the word is to be used. If you were describing how you personally were feeling then iongantas would be more suitable but if you were simply describing something as a wonder - the wall of china say - then Mìorbhail would be the word.

Again it depends how you mean celebration. If you meant as in to celebrate/praise someone or something then moladh is the word. If you mean an event in itself then as you say cèilidh would be the most general word suitable for most purposes.
          Well, that's it isn't it. The person who asked for the translations hasn't given us much of a context to go on.
          Of course, a "free spirit" in English is just an expression to describe someone's personality. Of course if they mean "free spirit" as in a strong drink, then we're both widely off the mark!

In general though, a "Celebration" in English is just what it says. A party, festival, something like that.

So "cèilidh" being quite general or "fèille" are the best words for that.

Comment

thanks

thanks for your help
            i was looking for translations for a tattoo...
            independence as in the person having independence or being an independent person

also i was wondering what passion is in gaelic..passion in the context of a noun..being full of passion or the person having a lot of passion..

id really appreciate the passion translation thank you

Comment

Originally posted by kayli
              thanks for your help
              i was looking for translations for a tattoo...
              independence as in the person having independence or being an independent person

also i was wondering what passion is in gaelic..passion in the context of a noun..being full of passion or the person having a lot of passion..

id really appreciate the passion translation thank you
              passion is a tricky one.... depends if u'r on about rage or love

boile can be used for passion, but I don't see what use that is to you.

Gaol is "passionate love"!

Comment

Working...
              X