Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scottish Slang words HELP ME understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Slang words HELP ME understand?

I found this online. Yes, I was plainly ignorant of a lot of pejorative terminology used by certain Scottish posters on this site and got curious about how many words in UK English and Scottish English I don't know or understand. Quite a lot I think. I hope you Scottish will tell me which slang expressions you like using and which you don't like to use but know the meaning of anyway.

One site is this one. Kids are always good at inventing new slang.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.../language.html

http://www.firstfoot.com/php/glossar...x.php?letter=s

Slang is present in all human societies. Here is one on PR. And one on England too.

Like this word the scottish use called "Skive" which the above source says is about pretending to work when you are really lazying about. In Mexican Spanish that is called 'flojera' or 'flojo (a)' or 'huevon'. In Puerto Rican slang Spanish that is 'vago' 'no dar un tajo ni en defensa propia' or 'hacer aguaje'. Lol. This is really fun!!

BTW, "SASSANACH" for an Englishperson, sounds pejorative. Is it? Or is it just a familiar word?

I don't know any of those words on the Scottish list at all!!

A Bellywasher is a pint of beer in Scotland? Why on earth they call it a bellywasher?

Look Polwarth's word for Donald McLean and some others is in here defined for me.

Numpty Numb tea. A useless individual.

See that John Swinney? He's a right numpty, see that Jack McConnel? He's a real numpty.

Lumber To make acquaitance with a member of the oposite sex and spend time with them or possibly date them.

As in lucky ******* Franko got a lumber last night.

HA! I won't be left bewildered anymore Scotland.com. No, sirree. PRgirl is getting an education in all these Scottish slang terms and won't be left in the dark either. LOL!!
    Last edited by PRgirl; 5 August 2005, 19:51.
    “I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you.” — Rubén Berríos (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Skive can also mean to stay home from school/work for no reason. But I wouldn't know anything about that

Yeah, sassanach makes the English sound like a shower of homicidal maniacs. But they're really not that bad. It is the gaidhlig word for the English, England being Sassan, and comes from the name of the people, the Saxons, who came to what is now England from Germany many many years ago.

And you're 100% correct, Jack McConnell is a real numpty.

Comment

Working...
    X