O'Reilly's definition of "aran"and "ain"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Reilly's definition of "aran"and "ain"

Hi,i give you an interessant définitions of two word:aran,s.the name of several hills in Ireland,Scotland,and Wales.The second definition for aran,s.m.bread;subsistence,employement.In my reshearch ,i believ this word"aran" is identical of the name of the town situated in the North African litoral"oran",whit the evolution of the voyel "a" to "o' in the begining of the word.The second exempl whish one i want to take for my demonstration is the celtic word "ain" we have this definition in O'REILLY'S IRISH-ENGLISH DICTIONARY,DUBLIN 1864,"ain",s.f a ring,a rush;fire;the eye.This word"ain" is the same word in semitic language,in arabic ain is the eye.The definition of this word in arabic,hebreu,or celti is identic.

'Ain' is Scots for 'own' - as in 'my ain fowks'... 'my own people'...

Comment

That's very interesting Houssine. What hills have aran in their name in Scotland? - I don't know any.
      There is an island in Scotland called Arran from (Eilean Arainn).The meaning of the name is unclear and is not thought to be related to the similar name of a group of islands in Ireland. However, if the names were linked they would mean "kidney-shaped." (From Iain Mac an Tàilleir's Scottish place names).

Now to "ain" from McBain's Etymological dictionary of the Scottish Gaelic language.

This is of course, completely, unrelated to "ain" the Scottish (and north-east English) equivalent of standard English "own", Polwarth.

àin
      heat (Dict.), light (H.M`Lean), Old Irish áne, fulgor, from án, splendidus, latter a Celtic a@-no-s; Gothic fôn, fire (from pân); Prussian panno. Stokes suggests rather *agno-s, allied to Latin ignis, Sanskrit agní, fire.

an-
      negative prefix, Irish an-, Old Irish, an-, in-; Welsh, Cornish, Breton an-; Celtic an, Indo-European n@.-, Latin in-, Greek @Ga@'-, @Ga@'n-, English un-, Sanskrit a-, an-, etc. It appears before labials and liquids (save n) as am-, aspirated to amh-; with consequent "small" vowels, it becomes ain-, aim-, aimh-. Before g, it becomes ion-, as in iongantas. Before c, t, s, the an- becomes eu- and the t and c become medials (as in beud, breug, feusag). See also ana-.
      ana-
      negative prefix, Old Irish an-, sometimes aspirating; Gaelic ana-creidimh, disbelief, Old Irish ancretem, but ainfhior, untrue; Middle Irish ainfhír. This suggests a Celtic anas- for the first, and ana- for the second, extensions of the previous an-; cognate are Greek @Ga@'\nis, @Ga@'\neu, without; German ohne, Gothic inu, without.
      ana-, an-, ain-
      prefix of excess; Irish an-, ain-, Middle Irish an-; Irish aspirates where possible (not t, d, g), Gaelic does so rarely. Allied are Greek @Ga@'na, up, Gothic ana, English on. Hence ana-barr, excess; ain-neart, violence; ain-teas, excessive heat, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X