They are relation betwween "ARAN"and "ORAN"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are relation betwween "ARAN"and "ORAN"

Hi,I'm ethnologue and linguiste ,I studies celtic civilisation,I believ we have som element of presens of celtic population in North-Africa,in gaelic the word ARAN is the bread,ahd it's the name of scotish saint of the 5 or 6 centuries.I'm persuaded the name of town situated in North-Africa,which the name is "ORAN" is derived from celtic name of "ARAN" we have the evolution of the first voyel from "a" to "o".I give you description of this cities.Oran is situated in the North-Western African country,Oran is old city and his activities is in the relation whit the see meditareen,lot of conquerors in the past have occupied this city like,Romain,Spain,French,Berbere?Arabs,and is my hypothes was correct Celts.It's possibl this city was founded by St Arran who are a Scotich Saint and after the city received his name "ORAN".I need more information about this Saint and of the name of Isle of arran is the relation whit the name of this Saint or whit the bread?Thank's(I'm very sorry for my archaic english).

Welcome Houssine! I have no idea if the Celts founded a city in North Africa - I guess anything is possible, even if it seems unlikely. I just wanted to point out that in Scottish gaelic "Oran" means "Song", so you don't need to have Aran evolve into Oran for it to be a gaelic word.

Comment

The Celts at one time occupied the entire Iberian peninsula so I think it is probable that there were Celtic enclaves and trading colonies,if not widespread settlement in North Africa.
      "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Houssine
        Oran is situated in the North-Western African country,Oran is old city and his activities is in the relation whit the see meditareen,lot of conquerors in the past have occupied this city like,Romain,Spain,French,Berbere?Arabs,and is my hypothes was correct Celts.It's possibl this city was founded by St Arran who are a Scotich Saint and after the city received his name "ORAN".I need more information about this Saint and of the name of Isle of arran is the relation whit the name of this Saint or whit the bread?Thank's(I'm very sorry for my archaic english).

Hi Houssine,

òran is a gaelic word meaning "song" from "amhran", and is not connected to the word "aran" - meaning "bread".

<òran>, a song; this is for [*auran], from the correct and still existing form <amhran>, Ir. [amhrán], M.Ir. [ambrán], Manx {arrane];from [amb], i.e. [mu], about, and [rann]? Ir. [amhar], E.Ir. [amor],music. Cf. Ir. [amhra], eulogy, especially in verse. Cf. [amra](Cholumcille), panegyric.

I am not familiar with St Arran, but in any case, the island of Arran in Scotland is from "arainn" which is of unknown origin. As stated previously, if it is related to the irish group of árainn islands, then it would mean "kidney-shaped"

It is definitely not related to "aran" meaning "bread".

<aran>, bread, IrISH., MIDDLE.IrISH., [arán]; root [ar], join, Gr. @G[arariskw], @G[a@'/rtos].
        See next.>>

The vast majority of Scottish place names are of Celtic origin and the vast majority of the Celtic placenames are of Gaelic origin. If they're not Gaelic they will be from Pictish (a Celtic brythonic language), Norse, with very few from English, Flemish, French.

So, the best way to research Scottish place names is rather through a Gaelic map of Scotland, as ENglish maps will have the placenames as transcribed into English sounds from the original Gaelic, and will have no meaning in English.

A reasonably good map (in the Gaelic of Scotland, Ireland and the Isle of Man) can be found on the Iomairt Cholm Cille website at http://www.colmcille.net. You can choose to navigate in one of Scottish, English or Irish language options.

Ordnance survey maps are also very good for Scots Gaelic placenames.

Comment

up to my knowledge Celts had migrated to Africa indeed and formed a branch which had been separated from the others populations, 3000 years ago (2000?).
          Scot in exile, don't ask.

Comment

Working...
          X