BBC SCOTLAND accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC SCOTLAND accents

Why do all the presenters for Reporting Scotland put onb semi-English accents. They never say "murder" correctly, nor any other syllable ending in an "r". They say "moo-du" like some base scouser. With words like "walk" and "talk," they say also affect the pronuciation of the English.

It's surely not because each and every one of them has lived in England for years and years. Neither is it likely that each one of them is a slavish Anglophile. Does the BBC then make them do it? Are they trying to make the Scots talk like Englishmen, or what? I thought their job was to read the news, not change how people speak.

I've given up on watching telly, so I don't know if things as are as bad as you say or not. I do know, though, that if the B.B.C. upsets you, it can be fun to 'phone up and complain. And that is just about the only way they will know how the licence payers feel.

Comment

I've done some work with the BBC in Scotland - needless to say my main contact had a heavy and distinctly Scottish accent. Never was a policy of "accent correction" ever mentioned, nor the need for one ever mooted.

Trust me, we get plenty of odd word pronouciations south of the border - and I can't say I'm really that bothered, either.

Comment

The BBC's always been like this. Some like Louise Bachelor don't really have Scottish accents which I can identify. Jackie Bird has a detectable one at least.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
        "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
          The BBC's always been like this. Some like Louise Bachelor don't really have Scottish accents which I can identify. Jackie Bird has a detectable one at least.
          It's true - that Huw Edwards chap who reads the news at ten in England doesn't sound very English at all!

Odd thing is I couldn't give a fook....

Comment

Sally Magnusson and Jackie Bird are both pretty bad. The guy is worse though. Is it David Robertson? He never pronounces his "r"s. Never. Today he butchered the pronounciation of Auchterarder "Aucktrada" ... funnily, because he didn't even lenghten his vowels the way he normally does when faced with a ending-R. He just totally dropped them, not even an "Auckta:a:de:"

I guess three rolled Rs were just too much for him to even contemplate anglicizing.

Comment

Since when did Huw Edwards present Reporting Scotland?

"Today he butchered the pronounciation of Auchterarder "Aucktrada""

Nae wunner Scots canny pronounce their own placenames.

"Ch" is not "ck".

"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

"Today he butchered the pronounciation of Auchterarder "Aucktrada""

Nae wunner Scots canny pronounce their own placenames.

"Ch" is not "ck".
                Of course ... you tell that to that Reporting Scotland presenter ... not to me. I already know how to pronounce Auchterarder.

Comment

My point is, SR, that throughout the whole of the UK newsreaders may have different accents compared to that of their target audience - this is not some Scotland-specific phenomena, if indeed it exists at all.

Further, I also pointed out that I couldn''t really care less what accent the newsreader has.

Comment

I cannot ever recall hearing a news presenter that had an identifiable accent. I consider that the important thing is that the news presenter is a clear reader.

The only news programme where I have heard a broad accent was on "BBC East Midlands Today". A few of them sound right broad Nottingham.

Comment

The only way to get a transfer to London is to change your accent which is probably why they do so - if it is indeed a conscious thing. ;-)
                      That Kirsty woman - on channel 5 - I remember her newsreading on Grampian TV with a good Scottish accent. (I'm not speaking about Kirsty Wark). THe blonde woman who's on Five News. Anyway, now she has this bland, monotonous semi-southern English one - which is probably a determining factor in her getting the job, that and the fact that she's blonde and a good newsreader.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirta
                        Further, I also pointed out that I couldn''t really care less what accent the newsreader has.
                        "London calling..."

Comment

Working...
                        X