Scottish Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Language

Not too long ago my best mate, who went to visit relatives in Scotland, told me that the Scottish Parliament is trying to make Scotts Gaelic the official language of Scotland or 'Alba'. He said that they are making it so a certain amount of television, radio broadcasts, newspaper articles, etc have to be in Scotts Gaelic. Can i ask if this is true? (and) If so, how effective is your Parliaments efforts?

Many Thanks
    English_Pride: "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you dont try." - Beverly Sills

If your friend had said a rather than the official language he would have been nearer the mark.English is the official language and nothing is going to change that in the future however the Scottish parliament has enacted legislation to ensure that Scots and Gaelic are actively promoted in the media and education etc. in order to preserve an important part of our cultural heritage.However the Scottish parliament has limited control over the media so they may be able to encourage but not compel broadcasters to increase the frequency of non-English programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by English_Pride
      Not too long ago my best mate, who went to visit relatives in Scotland, told me that the Scottish Parliament is trying to make Scotts Gaelic the official language of Scotland or 'Alba'. He said that they are making it so a certain amount of television, radio broadcasts, newspaper articles, etc have to be in Scotts Gaelic. Can i ask if this is true? (and) If so, how effective is your Parliaments efforts?

Many Thanks
      "The official language"? Not that I know of. Can you cite any source for this other than the words of your friend? Where did your friend read this, for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by Celyn
        Originally posted by English_Pride

Many Thanks
        "The official language"? Not that I know of. Can you cite any source for this other than the words of your friend? Where did your friend read this, for instance?

He aquired his information via relatives in Scotland... i will enquire into it further with him if you wish so?

Many thanks for your response,
        E_P
        English_Pride: "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you dont try." - Beverly Sills

Comment

Here is something quite ironic, Gidhlig has just recently been given official language status in Scotland but there is no piece of legislation anywhere that recognises English as an official language of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by keltic_bhoy
            Here is something quite ironic, Gidhlig has just recently been given official language status in Scotland but there is no piece of legislation anywhere that recognises English as an official language of Scotland.
            Interesting. But maybe it is the same as many places. Everyone knows which language is spoken, but making it official is a pain.

I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you. Rubn Berros (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

Originally posted by keltic_bhoy
              Are you sure about that? A Gaelic Bill went through parliament, but I don't think it's conveyed official status on the language.

Comment

Are you sure about that? A Gaelic Bill went through parliament, but I don't think it's conveyed official status on the language.
                It did.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/bu...icLanguage.htm
                Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cl ris gach cleachdadh cir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail be. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stir. 'S cha chan iad Gidhlig ach danamh tir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n rach nuair bha iad g.

Comment

Working...
                X