No announcement yet.

Put "Alba" on our football team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does "Alba" in Gaelic have some significance? Besides just Scotland in Gaelic?
    I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you. Rubn Berros (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

Does "Alba" in Gaelic have some significance? Besides just Scotland in Gaelic?
      Alba has the same significance as the English word "Scotland" I would think. The idea to have both Alba and Scotland on the football team shirts is to show that both English and Gaidhlig are spoken in Scotland.
      Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cl ris gach cleachdadh cir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail be. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stir. 'S cha chan iad Gidhlig ach danamh tir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n rach nuair bha iad g.

Comment

I guess I should clarify what I meant by my question. What I meant was this, is "Alba" in Gaelic, meaning something, "Like land of the morning light" Or "white cliffs" etc.?

I know "Hibernia" is the Roman Latin name for Ireland. It means "winterlike" or 'of winter'. What does "Alba" mean for the native Scots? Is it an old Tribal or Clan name?
        I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you. Rubn Berros (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

PR Girl... short answer, Alba is a very old word (at least 2000 years old) and there are many theories on what it means. At least three I can think of!

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I dont think it is enough realizedI myself had no idea of it until a few years agothat Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

http://www.petitiononline.com/sacair/

"In this country I dont think it is enough realizedI myself had no idea of it until a few years agothat Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

My question Scottish Republican is WHY?

Only a very small pecentage of Scots speak Scots Gaelic. The vast majority of Scots speak English and I believe consider Scots Gaelic (SG) as an alien language.
              Are you being elitist?

If I know 200 French words does that mean I can speak French? Of course not. So having Alba on the jersey would only appeal to small minority (repeating myself)

Why not have the SCOTS name (if there is one) for Scotland on the jersey. Where does it stop?

P.s Alba use to refer to the whole island of Britain. Its an Irish name and over time only came to refer to the land occupied by Scotland now.

Comment

Only a very small pecentage of Scots speak Scots Gaelic. The vast majority of Scots speak English and I believe consider Scots Gaelic (SG) as an alien language.
                You may feel Gidhlig is alien too YOU but don't think everyone shares your view. The idea of having Alba on the team shirts is too recognize that English is not the only language used in Scotland. Most Welsh people speak Enlgish but they still have the Gaelic name for Wales on thier shirt.

Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cl ris gach cleachdadh cir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail be. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stir. 'S cha chan iad Gidhlig ach danamh tir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n rach nuair bha iad g.

Comment

Originally posted by ConorC
                  Are you being elitist?

I think you are. It's one of Scotland's indigenous languages, and if people don't speak it, it's thanks to a campaign to undermine it, and exclusion. Exclusion is elitist, and you're excluding.

Why not have the SCOTS name (if there is one) for Scotland on the jersey. Where does it stop?
                  [/QUOTE]

It's already on there "Scotland". And by the way, it's Lowland Scots, we have two languages.

Perhaps you should change your first name Conor, seeing as it's a kind of Gaelic.

Let's win some self respect back. It might even make the team WIN something.

Comment

Well you see I come from a land where it is compulsary to learn a language for 14 years even though less than 50,000 people speak it as there first language.

Where you cannot go to university if you do not have this language. Where public jobs are barred to you if you do not have this language (note I do have the pass mark requirement).

The thing is I don't consider it my language (I think I am with James Joyce on this).

I would not like to see Scotland go down this same road. So Alba is not on the jersey. The whole world knows Scotland and I believe most of the Scottish people do.

Isn't the whole concept of a republic SR is that you bow to the wishes of the majority.

P.s as regards my name. I was born with it

Comment

Well you see I come from a land where it is compulsary to learn a language for 14 years even though less than 50,000 people speak it as there first language.
                      You come from Ireland right? Things are not like that here, learning Gaelic is far from compulsary, if you want to use the native language then you can but nobody is forced into learning.

I would not like to see Scotland go down this same road. So Alba is not on the jersey. The whole world knows Scotland and I believe most of the Scottish people do.
                      Most of the folk that signed the petition don't speak Gaelic, they just realize the importance of the language in Scotland.

Alan

Comment

a) No one is forcing Scots to learn Gaidhlig.
                        b) A republic also has to respect/protect minority rights too.

"The thing is I don't consider it my language"

Why not change your name from Conor then?

Comment

Erm, this is odd. Why would I put an SRSM link in, instead of the intended?

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
                          If they are our "national side", they should have both of our nation's names written on them, like the Welsh do.

(Petition in English only, it can't be changed. I didn't start it).

http://srsm.port5.com/statements/wosba.html

Comment

Working...
                          X