Put "Alba" on our football team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put "Alba" on our football team

If they are our "national side", they should have both of our nation's names written on them, like the Welsh do.

(Petition in English only, it can't be changed. I didn't start it).

http://srsm.port5.com/statements/wosba.html

To: The Scottish Football Association
    We, the undersigned, call upon the Scottish Football Association to proudly display the Scottish national name, "Alba," along with its equivalent, "Scotland," on the national football team's shirt.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
    "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

S_R>> Why isn't that enough? Why have both Scotland and Alba on the same T-shirt?

Or am I just the stupid one now?

Comment

Ha, so that is the football team you favor SR? Or are there more?
      “I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you.” — Rubén Berríos (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

lol, PR girl...

I wonder about your signature, what is your point with a Spanish one?

No worries, I can read it.
        'S toil leam Gàidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrìobhadh oir 'se an cànan feumail agus àlainn a th' innte.

Comment

Eleana>> But I can't!

Comment

Originally posted by emma25
            Eleana>> But I can't!
            Emma,
            My signature has a triple meaning for me. First, it is one of my mother's favorite songs. Mine too. It is a song recognizing we should be grateful to what life gives us. My first name in Spanish is "Life". That is my real name. Not screename.

Third, the part I chose, honors how I feel about my husband. He had a medical problem I was concerned with and that song addressed how I see him. "Entre las multitudes el hombre que yo amo." "Among the crowds (multitudes) of people I can distinguish which is the man I love." That is a great thing. To have two eyes that do that.

Gracias a la vida (Thanks to life), que me ha dado tanto, (that has given me a lot), me dio dos luceros, (it has given me two lights), que cuando los abro, (that when I open them) perfecto distingo dicha de quebranto,( Perfectly I can tell the difference between despair and grace [or great fortune]) y en alto cielo su fondo estrellado, (and in the heavens the presence of stars) y entre las mulitudes el hombre que yo amo. (And among the crowds of people the man I love.")

I chose the sig in Spanish because before I had it there, people thought my screename PRgirl stood for "Public Relations girl), or something like that. They thought me Canadian, American, Scottish, Irish, etc. It stands for Puerto Rican girl. So, hopefully people would realize I was not Scottish on this board and thus not informed on many subjects. Just learning. I like my 'home' board a lot. But it is good to explore the world. And I had fun discussion in many of the VCI boards, Russia, Sweden, South Africa, Nicaragua, and others. It is fun. Explore the world and posters just with typing away. I like that. Don't you?
            “I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you.” — Rubén Berríos (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

S_R>> Why isn't that enough? Why have both Scotland and Alba on the same T-shirt?

Or am I just the stupid one now?
              Why not? The Welsh have Welsh and English on theirs, and the Belgians have both their languages on theirs.

"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

S_R,
                A man with a fine sense of cultural roots. I like that idea too. Put them both on there.

Comment

S_R>> Yes, oki! But isn't there a differece between having "Scotland/Alba" and "Welsh/England" on their T-Shirt?

I too thinks it's a great idéa but I just think it's states one thing twice!

Comment

S_R>> Yes, oki! But isn't there a differece between having "Scotland/Alba" and "Welsh/England" on their T-Shirt?

I too thinks it's a great idéa but I just think it's states one thing twice!
                    No it doesn't.

It states that we have two languages*, and aren't particularly ashamed or cringing about either.

* The English and Lallans names are the same

Comment

Hi, fellow Celtic speakers (but my brother's learnt Gaelic, so hopefully that qualifies me to contribute). Not sure why you would think that Wales would have 'Welsh/England' on their shirts (??)

From what I can find, they in fact have monolingual logos, a discreet 'Cymru' (= Wales) on their shirts, shorts & socks.

I can't see why Scotland couldn't similarly have 'Alba' alone on their kit, it's not as if there could be any situation where this might cause confusion.

In any case, as a disinterested commentator, I find Alba a much more evocative name than the mongrel (etymologically speaking) 'Scotland', and it would be a means of raising the language's profile.

Comment

It would make the language commonplace, and bring it to a whole lot of people who don't normally hang round nightclasses and folk clubs!

Comment

Originally posted by mred
                          Hi, fellow Celtic speakers (but my brother's learnt Gaelic, so hopefully that qualifies me to contribute). Not sure why you would think that Wales would have 'Welsh/England' on their shirts (??)
                          I just took it as an example! That's all.

Originally posted by S_R
                          Why not? The Welsh have Welsh and English on theirs, and the Belgians have both their languages on theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
                            It would make the language commonplace, and bring it to a whole lot of people who don't normally hang round nightclasses and folk clubs!
                            PRgirl: Scottish Republican is Alba the old name for "Scotland"? If it is, it is a fine name to have. In Spanish it means "dawn", like the early morning light. I think for a football club that would be an excellent name to have don't you agree?

Comment

is Alba the old name for "Scotland"?
                              Alba is simply "Scotland" in Gàidhlig.
                              Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dùthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cùl ris gach cleachdadh còir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail beò. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fàs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stòir. 'S cha chan iad Gàidhlig ach dèanamh tàir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n àrach nuair bha iad òg.

Comment

Working...
                              X