Translation into Gaelic needed? Try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation into Gaelic needed? Try this

I think the best place to ask for translations into Scottish Gaelic is the Gaelic Forum of the Highland council where native speakers commit to help out.

http://forums.highland.gov.uk/gaelicforum

Hope it works!
    'S toil leam Gidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrobhadh oir 'se an cnan feumail agus lainn a th' innte.

Another good site for translations is the "SAVE GAELIC" website, they have a category just for translations. It has many fluent gaelic spaekers as well a learners and is a much more active site than the Highland council's Gaelic forum. Just go into the forum section of the site, it's superb for anyone with an interest.

http://www.savegaelic.org/

Hope it's helpful
    Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cl ris gach cleachdadh cir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail be. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stir. 'S cha chan iad Gidhlig ach danamh tir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n rach nuair bha iad g.

Comment

"Another good site for translations is the "SAVE GAELIC" website, they have a category just for translations."

I especially recommend "mise", as she is a native speaker academic, and always friendly and willing to lend a hand.

http://www.savegaelic.org/forum/prof...ewprofile&u=50

Her email is listed on her profile as -
      bansgitheanach@yahoo.co.uk

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
      "In this country I dont think it is enough realizedI myself had no idea of it until a few years agothat Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

oh! Have you asked her permission to post her email address?

And, with all due respect, not everybody at SG is happy to translate tattoos!

( I wonder who you are at SG... lol. Wanna give me a tip? )
        'S toil leam Gidhlig a bhruidhinn agus a leughadh agus sgrobhadh oir 'se an cnan feumail agus lainn a th' innte.

Comment

Thats a good point. "Mise" is glad to help out with learners but like most natives, she does not like translating for people with no interest in learning Gaelic, quite right i'd say. Mind you, as she said herself, a 10 fee should cover translations for people who want tattoos but have no interest in learning Gaelic.

Alan

Tha cuid de dh'Albannaich feadh na dthcha seo.Gu tur chuir cl ris gach cleachdadh cir. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. A lean ri'n sinnsearan air feadh nan linntean. Is chan eil suim ac' dha'n cumail be. Ach mar na Geint'lich tha mun cuairt orr'. A' fs gu fuar-chridheach le'n cuid stir. 'S cha chan iad Gidhlig ach danamh tir oirr'. Ged 's ann innt' chaidh 'n rach nuair bha iad g.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleana
            oh! Have you asked her permission to post her email address?
            She has it on her public profile, and she once told me she was keen to promote Gaidhlig round the world. A very kind and helpful woman.

It's a long while since I was last on there, but she is the most frequent poster.

"In this country I dont think it is enough realizedI myself had no idea of it until a few years agothat Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

another good one for IRISH gaelic is http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com They have a few Scottish Gaelic speakers there too
              "Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee"

Comment

Hi Eleana

And, with all due respect, not everybody at SG is happy to translate tattoos!
                I don't recall saying "everyone is happy to translate" on the Save Gaelic site, I simply added it as a useful site.

With all due respect, not everyone on the "highland council" site is willing to do translations!

( I wonder who you are at SG... lol. Wanna give me a tip? )
                I will be more than happy to tell you who I am on the "Save Gaelic" website, it no secret.
                Alan

Comment

Scotland needs a Cymdeithas Yr Iaith...

Comment

Hi SR,
                    Yes, they are well ahead of the Scots. We should be doing things more like them to ensure Gaidhlig not only survives, but thrives in Scotland.

The Welsh have even got thier own TV station on Sky digital, they have done very well promoting thier language.

Sadly, we are many years behind the Welsh. Wait and hope is about all we can do.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by thepatriot
                      Wait and hope is about all we can do.
                      There's no point in waiting if you don't do anything. That's what it feels like. It's easy to spraypaint a roadsign. Especially in remote parts of the Highlands. Or are they waiting for a government grant to do it?!

Comment

S_R>> What have the Welsh done to get their langue, to make it thrive as it is? Is't mainly though the school system or is it more to it than that?

Comment

Originally posted by thepatriot

I will be more than happy to tell you who I am on the "Save Gaelic" website, it no secret.
                          which is?

Comment

Originally posted by emma25
                            S_R>> What have the Welsh done to get their langue, to make it thrive as it is? Is't mainly though the school system or is it more to it than that?
                            There's more to it than that.

Firstly, they've been willing to fight and complain about the lack of it without waiting for politicians to come round.

Secondly, they consider it the language of all their country (with one or two exceptions!).

Thirdly, they have excellent tv and rock music, of a kind we never see with Gaidhlig.

Comment

The Welsh have without question done a fab job and are years ahead of us here in Scotland. It's very frustrating for the Gaelic speakers and learners in Scotland, things are not really moving forward in terms of promoting our language. Brd na Gidhlig is not having much of an impact and many politicians don't seem to be helping much either.

We need to get as many people as possible to put continued pressure on our MP's and MSP's, I believe this is the only way forward. It sounds easy but it's not, many people in Scotland still think if they were Gaidhlig speakers they would be unable to get jobs - total nonsense i'd say.

Anyone got an ideas? Should we start a petition? Who know for sure what is required to save our language, I don't think the politicians know the answer to that either.

Eleana
                              which is?
                              Ma name is Alan, yi should hay nae trouble hunting mi doon, just hay a gander aroon yon "Save Gaelic" forum.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X