How can I learn Welsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I learn Welsh?

What is the best book or material to learn Welsh (from scratch)? Just curious. I speak French and a smattering of Latin and realize this won't help at all.

Thanks.

It might be more fruitful if you tried to find a Welsh speaking forum - this is a Scottish based site and I don't think many here would be able to help you with Welsh!

Here's a website that may be of use
    http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/

Comment

Originally posted by Polwarth
      It might be more fruitful if you tried to find a Welsh speaking forum - this is a Scottish based site and I don't think many here would be able to help you with Welsh!
      Here's a website that may be of use
      http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/

On the contrary, let Welsh (properly Cymraeg) speaking Welsh people contribute extensively to our rather bizarre Scotland.com/forums website. Let them instruct us as to how we can rescue our true Scots language (i.e. Gaidhlig) from the clutches of sundry Anglo-Saxons and their dilettane accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Raingeanach
        Let them instruct us as to how we can rescue our true Scots language (i.e. Gaidhlig) from the clutches of sundry Anglo-Saxons and their dilettane (sic) accomplices.
        Pray tell us exactly how "sundry Anglo-Saxons' have got a hold of Scots gaelic (if indeed such a thing is possible) and why on earth they'd want to do that with gaelic but not Welsh.

Comment

Oh but they have done that with Welsh too.

http://cymdeithas.com/english/

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Originally posted by Scottish_Republican
            Oh but they have done that with Welsh too.

http://cymdeithas.com/english/
            Funny thing, the Welsh Language Act 1993 and the Government of Wales Act 1998 stipulates that the Welsh and English languages should be treated on a basis of equality. Indeed, it goes even further; did you know that in Gwynedd (where I used to live) you need to be able to speak Welsh to get a job with the council? Yes, that's right - to be a roadsweeper in Gwynedd, you need to be able to speak Welsh. Welsh is on a parity with English even in areas where there are virtually no Welsh speakers. Vast amounts of money are spent on translating letters, leaflets etc. Hardly seemed the actions of anti-Welsh 'sundry Anglo-Saxons' to me.

Interesting that you link to cymdeithas. They're the people who paint over roadsigns in English and display anti-english posters in Wales. Is this something you condone? Do you advocate the same in Scotland? Should non-gaelic speakers be forced out of the Highlands and Islands?

[Edited by Hirta on 12th February 2005 at 16:35]

Comment

"Should non-gaelic speakers be forced out of the Highlands and Islands?"

There should be a supply of housing reserved for locals, and non-speakers should learn

"In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Obh, obh! You're just speaking about something you don't understand. Read Celtic history, and preferably about the Grey Period! I think that the Welsh can help us gaels a lot. They have at least made their language semi-official with English. And no, I don't think that it is idioutus to ask people who live in Na hEileanan Iar te learn Gàidhlig. After all, you have to learn English if you emmigrate to GB etc.
                Anam Ceilteach

Comment

Originally posted by Eiric
                  After all, you have to learn English if you emmigrate to GB etc.
                  As far as I'm aware, there isn't (as yet) an official government policy forcing immigrants to learn English - where I live, many people have a very poor grasp of the language, if they have any knowledge of it at all!

In response to your other point, how will you ensure and enforce that all people in the Highlands and Islands speak gaelic? Will you carry out Clearence-style evictions if people refuse to comply?

Comment

Hirta, I do not wan't te enforce anyone to learn Gàidhlig, but it should be taught in schools I think. We steal the Welsh method and use it fer Scotland
                    Anam Ceilteach

Comment

In response to your other point, how will you ensure and enforce that all people in the Highlands and Islands speak gaelic? Will you carry out Clearence-style evictions if people refuse to comply?
                      No one's asking to "enforce" it like you are making out.

On the other hand, English language is thoroughly FORCED upon all people in the Highlands including Gaidhlig speakers who often don't have the option of various services in their own language.

Comment

No one's asking to "enforce" it like you are making out.
                        That's funny, because earlier you said this:

and non-speakers should learn.
                        On the other hand, English language is thoroughly FORCED upon all people in the Highlands including Gaidhlig speakers who often don't have the option of various services in their own language.
                        Absolute rubbish - please show the official government policy advocating this. What's stopping the gaelic speakers setting up these services themselves?

My mum works for the CAB in Gwynedd. Once a man scolded her for not being able to speak Welsh - until she pointed out that she was only doing the job (which was voluntary) because no Welsh speaker was willing to do it. This victim attitude is not helped by inactivity and laziness.

Comment

Long Live The Dialects! If you've studied the French language at all, think of all the marvelous dialects that existed just 50 years ago that aren't around now (thank you television). We owe a lot to web sites like this and people who want to preserve the culture and heritage. A language isn't just a language. It represents a culture and a history. We often don't appreciate something till it's gone, so suck it up and stop being mean to these nice people.

Comment

Please Hirta, Cum do theanga... You're just changing the meaning of our posts so that they sound stupid. If that is what you're up to so please continue, otherwise, Stop it!!
                            Anam Ceilteach

Comment

Originally posted by Eiric
                              Please Hirta, Cum do theanga... You're just changing the meaning of our posts so that they sound stupid. If that is what you're up to so please continue, otherwise, Stop it!!
                              Of course that's not my aim, Eiric - my posts are merely legitimate questions in response to posts by yourself and SR. Indeed, I might even accuse you of changing the meaning of my posts to make me sound bad!

My main concern is that I'm detecting a certain amount of anti-Englishness in this thread (whether the people or the language) based on assumptions which aren't consistent with reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X