No announcement yet.

English/American Language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, many people think learning Spanish is easier than some other language. Until they have to speak it everyday and write some academic paper and or try poetry in it. Then somehow it becomes difficult. Lol. All languages have their problems. And quirks and idiosyncratic qualities. Look at the Scottish? Auch, wee, auld, so on and so on. And Gaelic doesn't sound easy to learn. I have heard Arabic is hard to pronounce well. And my husband studies Mandarin Chinese and the subtle differences in pitch is difficult. I found Apache hard. First off the Apaches have 'secret' words all only shared in a reduced cultural context. It is all very intriguing isn't it? What freaks people out with Spanish?

Scottish Republican I would have to say it is the subjunctive verbs. Yep. It gets them every time.

poder=present infinitive

podria=conditional

pudiese/pudiera when to use the subjunctive? It drives people crazy.

All languages not one's native language are intimidating at first to learn. But once you hang out and practice. You start to like them. They become familiar and fun. And the people's ways of thought start becoming very much your own and you can understand so much more of the real deep culture than someone who doesn't speak their language at all.

Do you like songs Scottish? I love music. Always have. My whole life. I make it a point to memorize as many lyrics as possible, in many languages. Some songs just are not the same and are lost in the translation.
    “I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you.” — Rubén Berríos (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

Originally posted by PRgirl
      .........I would have to say it is the subjunctive verbs. Yep. It gets them every time.

Hahahah! I've been glancing through this thread occasionally, and today, that little sentence just JUMPED out at me. How very true. I only learned Spanish for one year back at school, and pretty much ran away before having anything much to do with the subjunctive verbs. (Um, when I say "ran away", I only mean "left school" - I would not like PR Girl to think I had run away to sea out of fear of Spanish. Spanish was fun, actually, but it was over 20 years ago, so ........... no habla Español.)

Comment

¡Hola! No hablo Español, pero yo amo linguas y me gusto de apprendo linguas...
        I don't know if that is correct, since I don't speak spanish, but I speak some french, gàidhlig, gaeilge, german, Swedish is my mother tongue, Norwegian, and many other languages, and I most say that even if I don't speak a language and I listen to a song in that language I try to learn how it is sung in that language, since a translation makes it much less beautier I think...

For example; Dôbro dosli Makedonijya, have no idea what it means but I know how to pronounce it..

"Doubrou dooschlee Mackeh dawn ee dja"
        Anam Ceilteach

Comment

For example; Dôbro dosli Makedonijya, have no idea what it means but I know how to pronounce it..

"Doubrou dooschlee Mackeh dawn ee dja" [/B]
          Probably Good Day Macedonia, guessing from Russian and Polish.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Yes Eiric,
            Songs are not good for translations: One of my favorites doesn't sound the same in English.

Te molesta mi amor, ( My love bothers you?)
            mi amor de humanidad, (My love of humanity)
            y mi amor es un arte en su edad, (and my love is an art form in its time)

Te molesta mi amor, (Does my love bother you?)
            mi amor de juventud,( My love of youth)
            y mi amor es un arte de virtud, (and my love is a virtue)

Mi amor no precisa fronteras, (My love does not have borders)
            como la primavera, (It is like springtime)
            no prefiere jardin, (It does not favor a garden)

Mi amor, (My love)
            es todo cuando tengo, (Is everything I have and take)

Mi amor es un sol encendido, (My love is a burning sun)
            Como un amor para los siglos, (Like a love for many centuries)

Es un sol encendido, (It is a burning sun)
            por quien merece amooooooooorrr,
            (For all who deserve looooovvveeee)

The melody is lovely too. It is by a Cuban composer, singer songwriter. Silvio Rodriguez. He is quite talented, but not heard much in the English speaking world. And lives in Cuba still.

Languages and nationalities in Spanish are always in lower case and never capitalized. For example: sueco, espanol, ingles, escoses, (nationalities in Spanish are never capitalized). I used to tutor Spanish for a living during my univ. years. And it is a lot of fun still to teach it to people. If I could learn 12 more languages these are the ones I would choose:

Mandarin Chinese,
            Arabic,
            Kikuyu,
            Zulu,
            Navajo,
            Guarani (sheer poetry that language is)
            Italian
            Russian,
            Lakota,
            Quiche (Mayan dialect),
            Quechua
            Somali
            “I have learned that you can win the battle over the most powerful of nations, the United States, if you have the moral force behind you.” — Rubén Berríos (about his transforming experience after the sacrifices he had to make for the Navy-Vieques protests)

Comment

Excuse me for butting in here...but...yes, try Spanish! It's muy facil y muy bonito! Plus, it is just FUN to speak. Again, sorry for jumping into this thread...

Comment

Learning Gaelic!!

I am trying to learn Scot Gaelic and need all the constructive advice that any may render!! I am new to the site and posted a thread under New Members. Thank you for any help anyone is willing to share!! Looking forward to hearing from Lad or Lass!!
                John C.

Comment

CastleGrant, did you look at the thread "Gaelic Language", here in this column? Is that more specific to your goal of learning gaelic? Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X