Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family

Can anyone really know thier family all that well. I for one would like to get to know my Scots family very badly. If anyone can trace thier roots from the Scots to the Irish then please see me.

Well, I'm Scottish, but I can confidently state that a maternal Great grandfather was Irish.

But I'm not sure that's what you were asking for...

Comment

I guess that I am trying to find people who are related to my family. My great-grandparents on my mother's side through her father came over from Ierland.

Comment

What were your great grandparents names? That is the place to start - then there are lots of places to look for information. If they belong to a Clan - there may be a web page, list serve,or discussion board particular to that family where you can get information.

Do you know where in Ireland, or before that Scotland they came from?

Good luck with your searching!

Comment

My great-grandfather's name was William John Vincent Allen Sr. As to what my great-grandmother's name was I can't tell you and as to were in Ierland I don't know. I'd have to find out from someone in the family here in the US.

Comment

I was hoping to find someone who knew of a Scottish man / woman who had married into the Allen family in Ierland. The clan that one of my ancestor's was in the MacFarlan's (spelling not sure).

Comment

Originally posted by granddaughter3
              ................ If anyone can trace thier roots from the Scots to the Irish then please see me.
              Certainly I can: I should think a lot of people with family in the West of Scotland could say the same.

That, of course, will not assist you in your own quest. You might like to have a look at the Genealogy forum though.

Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaughter3
                I was hoping to find someone who knew of a Scottish man / woman who had married into the Allen family in Ierland. The clan that one of my ancestor's was in the MacFarlan's (spelling not sure).
                There's hundreds and thousands of MacPharlanes and Allens out there.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
                "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

The most specific information you can find out from your family in the US is first required to find relatives In Scotland or Ireland.

Full names and dates of vital events (births deaths and marriages), and the parish or at least the county of Scotland the family was from are needed unless the name is very unusual and as SR say yours are quite common.

In genealogy it is generally necessary to work backwards from yourself a generation at a time to ensure that you are tracing the correct family.

Also spelling prior to the 20th century is not consistent so the surnames could have several different spellings as you go back in time. For instance one of my ancestor lines surnames has been spelt Rosie, Rossie, Rosy, Rozie, Rosey, Rossie and maybe even Ross

I enjoy the hunt though lol.

...and as for knowing your family well I do have about
                  15,000 people in my family history file that somehow connect with one another --the other 2000 or so probably don't

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mamie
                    [B]The most specific information you can find out from your family in the US is first required to find relatives In Scotland or Ireland.

I am thankful for all the help that I've been given so far. I will endevar to find out more to get farther.

Mamie and SJ

Thanks for the polite and calm way in the aid you both have given me and for not making me feel like a fool.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of a John Allen (1450-1553)?

Comment

A very brief search has turned up:

John Allen - born about 1456 in Hochwold, Norfolk, England

John Allen - born about 1500 in Thaxted, Essex, England

John Allen - born about 1520 in Dorney, Bucks, England

Could one of these be who you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by SherbrookeJacobite
                          A very brief search has turned up:

John Allen - born about 1456 in Hochwold, Norfolk, England

John Allen - born about 1500 in Thaxted, Essex, England

John Allen - born about 1520 in Dorney, Bucks, England

Could one of these be who you are looking for?
                          Anyone of them could be the one that I am looking for. I know that you're trying to help. Let me check further on them. I've made a notation so that I can have the information on hand when needed.

Comment

Working...
                          X