Help needed with slang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with slang

I need some slang terms used in Scotland business and informal conversations. Any information will be very appreciated.

I thought we'd answered a question similar to this for you?

Comment

What kind of business meeting would use slang? The two don't mix.

Perhaps this person is confusing dialect with slang.

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
      "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

Far be it from me to contradict two such normally well-informed people such as SR or Pol, I feel that I can not let their comments pass.

There something odd about the vehemence with which they either: deny that such a thing could take place; or avoid answering the question. For that reason, and in the spirit of helpfulness and hospitality for which Scots are renowned the world over, I felt that I had to bring this to your attention.

http://www.mandos.co.uk/online/news_language.htm

This is on an offical corporate website, of a software company operating out of Aberdeen, and gives a guide to some of the business terms used there - please note that the PDF document ("Fit It's A' Aboot") may take a little while to load, but it is worth it..

Examples from Fit It's A' Aboot
        Tasks: Fit's deen
        Task title: Fit tae dee
        Task description: The wye tae dee't
        Alternative task reason: Fit wye ye'd ging the ither wye
        Consulted: Speired at
        Informed: Tell't
        Update (a document): Gie a redd up til

Document Groups: Bourachies o' bumf
        Resources: Handy things tae hae handy
        Process Flowcharts: The wye tae dee things
        'Click here to view the issued version of the process flowchart': 'Gie the left lug o' the moosie a dunt tae see the richt story'

Quality: Fit wye a thingmie's fit for fit it's supposed tae fit

Competency: Fit ye're fit for

Business risk: Onythin' that can mak an erse o' fit ye're tryin' tae dee.

Sorry, Pol, SR, but you can't pretend that this sot of thing doesn't exist.

Comment

Bourachies o bumph?

Pleease! This is a comedy list... I remember reading about it, there's no way you'd use some of these translations in real life. "Bumph" is a joke word meaning too much of something. "Speired at" is the real thing, but not all the rest are.

Business risk: Onythin' that can mak an erse o' fit ye're tryin' tae dee.

You really expect someone to use that in a po-faced board meeting?

(Two can play at George Orwell quotes)
          "In this country I don’t think it is enough realized—I myself had no idea of it until a few years ago—that Scotland has a case against England."

Comment

And yet, confronted with hard evidence, you still deny it?(sigh)...

Or is that you have something against the Doric?

The cultural cringe is a terrible thing to behold...

Comment

Working...
            X